What's new

Anyone else clearing out their SD-DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
For those of us now invested in these new formats are you, or are you planning on, getting rid of your SD-DVDs? I've never had a huge collection of SD-DVDs, about 300 or so. Tonight I just went though them and plucked out over 100 titles that will be going up for sale.

My goal is to be rid of my SD-DVDs in a year or so, less those very special titles I cannot live without and that aren't on HDM yet.

I'm also hoping that when HD-DVDs death draws near that we'll see some good sales on their players and software. I'd like one more player and as many titles I can get my hands on if there priced around $10. Right now they seem to be about $15 so $10 isn't too far off, I hope.

Demise

Auditioning
Real Name
Bud Simons
I suspect I'll be keeping most of my DVDs for a couple of reasons. First, I'm uncertain if many films in my collection will ever be available on Blu-ray. Another concern is portability (a laptop is simply too bulky for me), which hasn't been addressed at all with regards to HDM and I'm not sure it will be in the near future.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My SD-DVD's still look acceptable when upscaled; so I'll never be "clearing them out."

Now that the format war is over, I do intend to shortly acquire a Blu-ray deck; and then anything new that I purchase will be in the new format. So I'll be very slowly replacing my DVDs in my Home Theater (probably over a period of years).

But I don't intend to sell off my old DVDs. I'll still use them for "secondary displays" around the house (like in the bedroom).

As for HD-DVD: Thankfully, I purchased only four titles total. I decided early on that I would just use the player to upscale my current DVDs and rent available HD-DVDs. I didn't want to start collecting in a HD optical disc format until the war was over.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Even upscaled on my A1 it's tough to watch SD-DVD, the quality just isn't there. I've got one HD-DVD deck and two Blu, hopefully as HD-DVD gets closer to death we'll see some great sales. I'd like to add a second HD-DVD deck and keep buying titles if I can land them for $10 or so.

Even though it's basically a dead format I see no reason to stop buying titles, especially when the prices are better then SD-DVDs. I just bought 4 HD-DVDs for $59 total, shipped to my door.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm holding onto the vast majority of my collection, however I have been selling off titles that I have double dipped on or titles that I'm just not interesting in keeping. My problem at the moment is that I'm running out of space to store what I already own.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Too many non-HD players in the house for me to contemplate getting rid of "most" of my SD DVDs (not to mention I use a number of them as teaching tools--my college won't be investing in HDM players anytime soon). I even liked the "combo" discs for those reasons, though it appears that won't be a prominent part of my collection overall.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I have a pretty large DVD collection (maybe 600), about 50 HD DVDs, and one Blu-ray. I like older films and doubt a lot of them will ever see the HDM light of day. I mean, when can I really expect to see "To Hell And Back" with Audie Murphy, on Blu-ray? I have a Toshiba XA2, which I use for SD DVD, and a Panasonic BD-30. I will get rid of my SD DVDs as each hi-def replacement comes along, but, as I said before, I seriously doubt most of them will be available as such for a long time. I haven't bought many HDM for a while since few of the present titles appeal to me, but have gotten quite a few SD DVDs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WoW!

I have nearly 3,000 titles in my collection.

When I bought my first HD title I promised myself I would
not replace my DVD collection. Now that I own about 70 HD
titles, I haven't changed that opinion (though I have replaced
a small handful of just "favorites").

Honestly, DVD still looks terrific -- especially for the fact that
players are now upconverting to near HD quality. While there
is still a noticeable improvement in HD over sDVD, it is not as
dramatic as was VHS to DVD or even Laserdisc to DVD.

In other words, as I have just stated, the quality that DVD
provides to the viewer is not going to be frowned upon in the
same way the other formats were as far as picture quality -- at
least not until HD ups the ante on resolution.

Perhaps those with small collections will benefit from dumping
their DVD collection. I just feel that sDVD still kicks ass!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. While I think upscaled DVD does not look anywhere near HD quality there are a lot of titles in my collection that I will not have a great urge to replace. Upconverted DVD, while looking soft, will suffice for a lot of films I have collected.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I used to have around 1,000 SD DVDs, but I am now down to just 80! So, yes, I am clearing out my SD DVDs. :)

Not all of the proceeds went into HDM however, some went in HD players, etc. At some point, I realied that there just wasn't a lot of point for me to hang onto that many films, especially since a good number of them were watched only once and some of them not at all. As it stands right now, I still have a lot of unwatched HDM. I plan to spend the first half of this year correcting that situation, and getting back to purchasing only the 'essentials' hoping that places like Netflix, etc. are easier to rent HDM from by June or so.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I've got too many that most likely won't see HMD for a while, if ever. I mean how much of a push will there be to put out Back to Bataan or Guadalcanal Diary in hi def?

Now if I can replace some such as Master and Commander, Star Wars, Indy etc in hi def at a reasonable price, I probably will.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Dump my whole DVD collection?! Fuck that. I've got way too many older classic/genre titles that'll probably never see the light of day in high def for a long long time, if ever.

I will say that I'm not one of those people who claim to have no desire to replace their collection with High Def versions. If I enjoyed a movie enough to add it to my DVD collection then I absolutely want that title in the best quality (which is BD/HD). Problem is with the slow rate of catalog releases the studios don't seem very inclined to make much money off of me.

I have and continue to get rid of DVD's once that title comes out on BD/HD and sometimes (if the studio can be trusted not to pull it at the last minute) once a firm announcement has been made.

BTW I have noticed in the past year especially that the aftermarket value of DVD's has pretty much dried up. No doubt the market is just oversaturated as there were some titles that I just couldn't give away. Good luck with your sale.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
There is just too much good stuff on DVD for me to get rid of them anytime soon. As a lover of classic B&W films, I'll probably be waiting a long time for flicks like the Charlie Chan collection or the second tier Universal horror titles to be released on HDM. And most of these movies look very nice upconverted. So, I'll be keeping the majority of my SD DVD collection for the forseeable future.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Me too. I sure would like to dump some of the early non anamorphic DVDs i have with new Blu-ray discs, but i have to hang on to them for now. I also found 2 or 3 DVDs that "rotted" on the shelf while i was doing my thinning out.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'll only replace a select few: Indy, Star Wars, Back to the Future, etc.

As many others have said, sDVD quality is great when upconverted. I just don't get how our once stunning sDVD discs have suddenly become unwatchable (unless you've migrated to a monsterous FP).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nope. There's just too many that aren't on an HD format now or likely to be in the near future, and I don't quite have the resources to replace everything.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to be able to clear out around 100 of my 200 DVDs, just for the fact that I no longer desire to own those titles - and I wouldn't even replace them if they were available in HD. DVDs are hard to move now though.

The other 100 DVDs I'd love to replace them with HD equivalents, but I don't think I'll see most of those foreign films available in HD any time soon - if ever.

I now own 2 BD movies (no player yet) simply because they were titles I really wanted and were available at a great price. Have to take advantage of the low price before I lose my chance. I only have one more available BD title I need to purchase, and then I'm done until the studios offer me something that I really want.

I'd rather watch a movie I love on DVD than a movie I don't care for in HD.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

This is a great point as well. My old SD-DVD's have more value for me personally than I could ever obtain for them in the (currently very depressed) after market. Even after I have a Blu-ray iteration of the movie in my hands the SD-DVD counterpart will still be useful for playback on my laptop, or my daughter's portable DVD player, or even as a back up for the Blu-ray. The one or two dollars that I might obtain for the disc in the aftermarket is not adequate enough compensation from my perspective to urge me to give up that kind of versatility and convenience.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have a lot of stuff that will probably never see the light of day in Blu-Ray, including TV shows. There is little chance that 1970s and 1980s videotaped sitcoms like "All in the Family" or "The Golden Girls" will get BD releases.

So I am only clearing out stuff that is actually released and available on BD, and only if the DVD has no material not duplicated on the BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks