Anyone else besides me like the cast changes to ER?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Nov 22, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I have to admit that the gradual cast changes over the years has ignited the show to me. I really like characters like Chen, Pratt, Abby and Romano. They have energized the show. I even like how Carter's character has emerged over the years! Other than the Mark Greene character i really don't see any character's whose loss has hurt the show. What are your thoughts?

David

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I think think they need to ditch Pratt and expand the stories for Gallant.

3. David Coleman

I at first thought they shouldn't have added Pratt but I like how they've fit his character in. He's not "safe" but he's definitely a catalyst. Helps make the other's around him more interesting.

4. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Since you're asking opinions, and not just doing an "appreciation thread"....

Frankly, I don't really care about the additions, for the most part. The writing for the show has really been inconsistent, to be kind, and characterization has been very arbitrary with little regard for either previously established background and/or believability.

I DO like Gallant, and find Pratt beyond annoying.

Chen and Lewis are severely underused.

5. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

what's with Lewis not doing well in the recent episodes as a doctor? she seems lost and incompetent. Why? (or is it just me?)

6. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Get rid of Abby and her useless storylines.

7. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

This is how I feel about the more recent additions to the cast:

Abby - Too much of a drama queen. They really need to stop focusing on her so much.

Gallant - Now that Carter has taken on a Dr. Greene-like persona, Gallant has sort of taken on the persona that Carter had at the start of the show. Unfortunately, he has been severely underused.

Lewis - Also severely underused. They shouldn't have brought her back just to have her as a background character.

Kovac - I don't know why they've changed his personality so much in this season. Still, an interesting character.

Pratt - A lot better as the young loose cannon than Maluchi was, IMHO. His relationship with Chen is interesting.

Romano - A hilarious and unpredictable character. I hope they don't shorten his screentime any more than they have after his accident.

8. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I dunno, Abby is hot! I can't even put a finger on it.. The butterscotch voice, the attitude..

Dunno why they've turned Luca into such a lothario.. Trying to show him having trouble getting over Abby?

Glad they got rid of Doctor Dave!

I like Gallant, he's ok in my book.

Last episode totally messed me up. Tears were shed.. :b
    Ever since having a kid myself these kinds of shows affect me especially.

9. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Praise
    I don't miss Mark's daughter at all, and I'm glad that Weaver's personal life has become a less important issue. Carter is becoming more of a leader, which keeps alive at least one character arc from the beginning of the series. The Gallant vs Pratt dynamic is pretty interesting. And for the record, I like Maura Tierney too much to be bothered by Abby's storylines.
    Criticism
    Benton left. Romano lost an arm. Corday left for a few months and then returned. Don Cheadle's character is a temporary role and he's a student. So my question is: Who's been performing surgeries at County General recently? This is where they should have brought in a new character. Also, the new med students have almost zero presence on the show so far.
    Brad

10. Raasean Asaad

I agree Brad, early in ER's life some of the best charachters and actors were the senior staff and surgeons. Their interaction with the students and the staff made for comelling storylines.

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

12. David Coleman

I agree with Doug. Abby is hot!! Like you I can't put my finger on it put i've always loved Maura Tierney.

It seems like so many people here don't like Pratt! I think that his character adds more drama. I dunno but i've also liked the storyline about Kerry and her coming out! I am however disappointed in the use of Lewis. It seemed like they tried to do something with her and Carter, then totally abandoned it and when with Carter and Abby. I like you feel Gallant is underused. Hopefully they'll explore more of him. We need more Romano and somehow I get this feeling that he and Elizabeth will become more than co-workers.

I sometimes think if the show would be as interesting if we still had Clooney, Marguiles, Edwards and Benton and I feel that the new characters have really added life to a show that had started declining.

David

13. Raasean Asaad

Mike, I agree Maura Tierny (sp?) is a great actress but her characters development and plot are simpl pedestrian rehashes of Carol. Abby/Luca = Doug/Carol and its getting really old to me.

14. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's not like Sally Field (plays Abby's mom) is going to show up all that much anymore (she seems to only show up during Sweeps week episode).

I like Abby because she's got the medical smarts, but her life choices have sort of made it a tougher road for her if she wanted to pursue the doctor route, and she's a lot smarter than the average nurse in the ER. And she's got a few inner demons that she fights on a daily basis. I think she's a good character within ER's framework.

16. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    Benton is for sure sorely missed, by me anyway!
    My mum's bi-polar, so this story-line's kinda interesting, and freaky.. I'm 28 [​IMG]