ANyone else besides ATL having Superbowl HD problems?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by WadeB, Feb 1, 2004.

1. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

WGCL is claiming it is CBS not them.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm really disappointed by the lack of HD. It seems the west coast is seeing it in HD.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hey, the HDTV feed is back! And so is the audio (previously it was just the right channel.

4. Mike:K

Mike:K Auditioning

Thank goodness. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. I just couldn't believe that someone at the network (or the local affiliate here in Atlanta) was screwing up the biggest sporting event of the year for the HD viewers. I mean, honestly, we were down to almost 6 minutes left in the first half and still there was no HD.

I hear that many HD TV sets are sold prior to the Superbowl for the big game. CBS isn't doing a good job of impressing anybody here with their HD prowess.

Oh well, at least it's fixed now.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Here in Mid-Michigan we are getting SD for the superbowl too. We had one blip where it seemed to jump to something else, but it's still SD. Now that it is halftime we're still getting SD.

It sucks, because I don't even watch TV, but I bought a HD receiver for the superbowl, and we're getting SD instead, blown up on my X1 projector. Looks quite crummy.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

It's not CBS. My local station has been on the digital feed since Noon, and the HD live camera shots began at 2pm.

7. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I was having auido drops through the whole game and some camera shots were static like watching with rabbit ears. very disappointed. I want to know if it was my local cable comcast or CBS. I checked my other station and no problems at all. the whole game was like this and terrible. seemd to me it was camera problems but I heard people say they got a great picture in other states. dont know who I should complain to. very disappointed. again my other HD channels were perfect when this was happening.

8. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

Definitely had problems here. Heavy pixellation and audio skip throughout the second half. I ended up having to watch it in SD, not an enjoyable experience on a 65" RPTV!
    I figured it was TW cable, but then, all the other HD feeds were fine. Maybe it was CBS after all.

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It had to be your local station guys: I watched both the CBS national feed (via DirecTV) and our local CBS stations (OTA) and the only problem I saw was an audio drop-out (one-time) from the satellite—which was not happening at all when I switched to OTA—and was gone when I went back to the national feed.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The problems were with your local stations. The HD feed in the Detroit area was fine throughout the game, with one exception -- there were many, many audio dropouts during the halftime entertainment.

11. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Wade- Ours dropped out in the first half and didn't return until towards the middle of the second on WGCL. It looked a couple times like they were trying to fix it, but then it would go back to some 4x3 muddled mess. When it finally came back, I could only tune stereo sound, no DD.

Right at the start of the game, it was really wierd. The accessDTV signal monitor was way up, but it couldn't lock anything and no picture. I've never seen that before.

12. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Yes, yesterday's broadcast was a disaster in the ATL.

WGCL is getting heat from more than a few people right now. They're being bashed on their own boards, the Atlanta Yahoo group, both local forums, and AVS.

I'm usually not one for beating on our local folks, but in this case, I believe WGCL is getting everything they deserve. Denying temporary waivers and blaming CBS national didn't score them any points.

[​IMG]

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was glad that I didn't have a HD Super Bowl gathering yesterday because it sure would have been uncomfortable when the SDTV feed was being shown for most of the 1st half, and only the right audio channel being received.

I also couldn't get any video/audio near the beginning of the game (and right before during the National Anthem being sung by Beyonce). My HDTV receiver was also showing a good signal lock, but no video/audio. That was so frustrating! I was making up new curse words!

14. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Me too! I'm just glad I hadn't canceled the satellite feed of my locals.

15. David Singleton

David Singleton Stunt Coordinator

Here in Nashville, WTVF's broadcast was really pretty good. There was an occasional audio dropout, and maybe pixellation once or twice, but it was very good otherwise.

When I first saw the new commercial for that car that out ran the speed of sound, and not paying that much attention, I thought there was an enormous audio dropout occurring. Much to my relief it was when the speed of sound caught up.

:)

David