What's new

Anyone else 'bag' their DVDs? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you bag just the disc or the whole case? Is this to keep dust off, or is there some other benefit?

Hrmm... Do you also keep your furniture covered in plastic? ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

An enclosed envelope of plastic used to protect the comic from dust and whatnot, same thing with LD & LP plastic covers.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
When there is so often discussion from those of us who anally examine DVD cases for nicks and dings and possible damage to the paper sleeves when ripping of security tags I must say I'm shocked that there is so much contempt at this practice.

Personally, I'm not talking about bagging the plastic cases. Perhaps the original poster is and maybe everyone else is assuming so as well.

The bags I use for the snapper cases fit only over the cardboard. Remove the plastic tray, slip the bag over the cardboard, tape it closed, put the tray back on. The DVD opens as normal, but the cardboard is now protected from wear.

-paul

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
I put all of my old snapper cases in protective plastic. I also put anything with a paper slipcase in plastic (eg Disney Platinums).

I also managed to talk a very friendly sales rep at Ivy Hill into sending me a batch of replacement snapper cases, so now I can replace those with broken hubs!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i keep the shrink wrap on anything i can.

starting with lp's in the late 70's up until about 15 years ago when i stopped buying lp's.
still no warped records.
i also wrap a piece of scotch tape around the edges to help keep from ripping.

then did the same with laser discs.

now i do it wth dvd's.
i even use the origional shrink wrap on digipaks that dont have a slip sleeve.
like the all in the family set and fawlty towers.
i just put a little extra piece of tape at the top and bottom to use as a handle for pulling the shrink wrap on and off.

as luck would have it i work at a place that has a shrink wrap machine so i can shrink wrap anything like the disney sets that have a slipcase but no wrap around the outside slipcase.

:D

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
You think you're bad? I know a guy who bought a shrink wrapper from a video store that was going out of business and every time he watches a DVD or a video he re-shrink wraps it. He says he wants everything to look "brand new" on his shelves. Oh well, as the saying goes "different strokes for different folks".

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I always take LDs out of the shrinkwrap, even if they're decades old and it's been on there forever, because I once read Pioneer's official Handling and Usage Guide and it said not to let them sit in shrink-wrap. So there!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the contempt for this practice either, at least not among the members of this type of board. I like to keep my DVD cases looking nice, so I keep all the old cardboard snapper cases in individual clear plastic boxes (they aren't manufactured only for me so I guess there are other 'anal" folk too).

I don't go as far as to protect the amaray cases (the now-standard cases) because the artwork is already protected within the clear sleeve, and you can always replace a worn amaray case.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I decided to bump this thread to share a cautionary tale.

I am a collector of many different things: comics, books, CDs, VHS and now DVDs. About a decade ago, there was a fire in my apartment building. I got off lucky, but received major smoke and water damage.

Nothing makes your heart sink faster than seeing what water can do to a book, or a cardboard VHS sleeve. And water seeping into a CD jewel case or into the insert of a VHS clamshell case is not pretty sight, either.

So ever since, I have been a convert to bagging. It protect your investment in case of disaster, and save you the time and expense of having to replace ruined items.

Beau222

Auditioning
Real Name
Beau Watts
All DVD's go into the changer a few of the bonus disc go also. All cases and most bonus disc's are disposed of. I was running out of room with my other pack rat itis stuff.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If you have a humidity problem, then just buy a dehumidifier. You'll save a heck of a lot of time by not dealing with bags.

Once I watch something, it usually goes into a CD binder while the case gets stuffed into a plastic garbage bag in my garage with a zillion others. :) (Booklets get stored in a shoebox.)

Rolando

Screenwriter

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
That's the basic procedure I use. As soon as I purchase a new DVD, it goes into a binder. All my discs are stored in ten 80-disc binders (theatrical releases are, anyway--my television DVDs take up another eight binders.

I keep the artwork and inserts in a large cardboard box, and throw the cases away.

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator

Replacement Amaray cases cost about a $1 each if you buy a case at a time. So doing the math that's about $800 bucks worth of Amaray cases you've thrown away. At the very least you might start selling them off on eBay to recoup some of your DVD costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks