Anyone else 'bag' their DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i've recently begun to put every dvd i own into its own comic bag. for the longest time i resisted the idea of ever becoming this anally obsessed with these things, (especially when i first saw snappers which screamed to me "cheap and disposable") but as i sell off more and more discs from my collection, it just seemed like a sensible thing to do.
    keep them in as fine a condition as possible until i may decide to sell em.
    i've also had some issues with humidity, though i don't know if bagging them will impact that positively or not at all.

so- anybody eles sink to this level yet :b

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm not there yet. If you have a humidity problem I'm sure silica would help. Oh man! My first silica recommendation!

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i've searched in vain for silica, but i have found something called damp-rid. white pellets that dissolve over the course of several weeks- ostensibly capturing moisture in the air.
    i've used them this past summer, which seemed to be one of the most humid i can recall, and don't seem to see an exacerbation of the warping i've seen before.
    of course, a lot of stuff has now found its way into bags as well, so maybe a combination of the two is whats yielding good results.

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Um.......no.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The case is the "bag."

I don't care how banged up the cases get, as long as the discs are intact.

6. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    So.... um.... do you have them on a shelf, baggies and all? I (like most people) keep mine on shelves, upright with spines facing out (like books). Seems like plastic bags would really get in the way...

Plus, DVDs aren't nearly the investment that they used to be, so it kinda seems ridiculous (or, in your own words, anal) to lavish such an intense level of care on them.

7. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    They make bags for the cardboard part of the snapper cases, and i use them. Makes them look better, and keeps the art clean and scratch free. Hi, my name is Rick, and i am OCD!

8. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

No.

I pet my DVDs and speak to them.

9. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Try looking in a gun store - they should have dessicant stuff available.

That said, if you're gonna sell 'em, better hurry up.

10. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Uh, no. But I would like to have some plastic overcases, like the plastic transparent case for the Criterion 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' DVD, for some of my rare and/or valuable DVDs.

Anyone know where I can get one?

11. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

I just rack 'em, and the worst thing to ever happen to them is a little dust.

12. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

My snapper cases have always been in a plastic sleeve - these are specifically designed for these cases and still allow them to be opened normally.

i moved recently and put all my cardboard DVDs in plastic bags to prevent damage from moving (rubbing together, etc). They're all still in them but when I watch those discs again I'll discard the bags.

-paul

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

14. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

actually i think (new) dvds retain more of their value than (new) comic books do at this point. at least any comics i would be interested in reading these days.
    i just recently sold off a couple of titles (Two Lane Blacktop was one) for over $50 each. that may have been what pushed me over the edge to (want to) bag everything i have.
    before that i just bagged whatever went into the sell pile, because i would just be bagging it anyway when i packed it up to ship.
    who knows what will go OoP next, and the investment of a 5 cent bag doesn't seem that outrageous. besides, i like to stress condition in my auctions and i think (rightly or wrongly) that condition of the packaging is implied as well when someone advertises a used product as "mint" or "excellant condition/like new". and that clear plastic on a keep case can get suprisingly dingy and scuffed from just general shelf wear after a few years. it can be easily replaced of course, but that's $.75 for a new keepcase vs a nickel for a bag.

15. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I just keep my discs in the original packaging. I run
    the living room A/C as much as I can to keep the heat
    down, and I have not come across a rotting or warped
    disc yet. [​IMG]

16. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't do it, I like them to look nice on the shelf and I can't imagine that with bags on them. That would drive me nuts.So if I'm anal about how it looks on the shelf then so be it [​IMG]

17. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I have thought about it, but since I have almost 1,500 DVDs already, it would take to much time (which is not a big concern) and it seems like it would not be worth it. But, I do not blame anyone for doing it, as they feel they are preserving their collection.

Ryan

18. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

It seems to be real common among LaserDisc collectors, mostly to protect those nice big sleeves from friction wear. I don't though, because it makes playing the discs more of a hassle, and I don't see a huge need.

19. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    I do the same thing with comic book bags, and yes, I started with LaserDiscs. I do this for several reasons (besides being somewhat anal, or so my wife says[​IMG]).

First, being protection of the discs from dust. I found that no matter how well I keep things dusted, I always would find some on the discs themselves (which are kept in the cases). This also protects the cases themselves from any kind of wear.

Second, with the way that the HD war is shaping up, I will be sticking with SD DVDs for the forseeable future (at least until someone in the industry grows a brain). It is not an issue of keeping the discs and cases pristine so I can sell them off and replace them with HD, as I will not touch an internet-connected player with a ten-foot cattle prod. When the industry is dictating who can watch what, and at what PPV price (trust me, it's coming), I will be sitting back watching my SD DVDs, which are, and will be, indistinguishable from those bought new off the shelf. They may be the last I buy if things keep going the way they are... just my $0.02.

20. Brent M

Brent M Producer

What the hell is a comic bag? Is that a brown paper bag with the eyes and mouth cut out(like what The Unknown Comic used to wear on his head)?