What's new

Anyone Driving from Jax, FL to Little Rock, AR? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm donating a pc to a humane group in Little Rock and I live in the Jacksonville area. I'm sure shipping would be outrageous.

Anyone driving that way and want to do a good deed?

Craig

Second Unit
I just went to fedex.com and checked shipping via Fedex Ground. If you're only shipping the actual PC, no monitor, it looks like it'll be pretty cheap.

Using a size of 18"x18"x7" and a weight of 20lbs, insured for $300, I got a price of $8.56 to ship from zip 32244 (Jax) to 72099 (Little Rock). This is shipping to a business address, there's a surcharge of about $3-$4 to ship to an individual's address.

Fedex Ground or Fedex Home Delivery is generally the cheapest way to go compared to UPS or the Post Office for larger items.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, there is a monitor, a 19" sony. However, you've given me hope that shipping may be doable. A 2nd problem is that I've got no boxes, so I'll need the services of something like a mail boxes store to pack the stuff.

Maybe I need to go to u-haul to get boxes, do they sell packing peanuts too? If I can pack it all and have fedex do it, maybe its affordable.

Craig

Second Unit
You'll have to pack it yourself for it to be affordable, but it'll still be expensive.

If you're going to use peanuts, I'd make sure to wrap the PC up in plastic, maybe just a garbage bag, to keep the bits of styrofoam from getting inside. Styrofoam peanuts, tape and boxes can get pretty expensive. You can go to U-haul for boxes, also Office Depot sells them. However it's sometimes difficult to find the right size box. You're probably going to spend at least $20 on packing materials if you have to buy all of it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

If I can get boxes and packing materials for $20, I'll be happy. If I can ship it all for $30, I'll be very happy. FuRR will have a good pc and I'll have spent $50 to do it, I won't complain.

You made a good point about protecting everything from the peanuts, they can get into anything.

BTW, a short time ago, I received a package that was packed in peanuts that were static cling proof. It was strange to pull a product out of a package and have all the peanuts just fall away.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, if you had a way to get it to Memphis by Monday I could get it to Little Rock. I'll be making my weekly visit to our office there on Tuesday. But I'm sure it would cost just as much to get it here, seeing as how Jacksonville's not exactly around the corner.
So I guess I really have no point typing this post. I just wanted to feel like I belong.

:D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

No way, beyond expedited shipping (which would be expensive) to get it to you, thanks for the offer anyway.

BTW, what kind of business do you operate? Just curious, is all.

And of course, you belong, you're an HTF'er;)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I'm a network analyst for Xerox. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as exciting as the title would imply. ;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Out of curiosity, I looked up FuRR since I had never heard about it when I lived in LR. I'm glad to see that someone is helping with the cats of LR. If they had been around while I was there, I'm sure I would have volunteered. Three of our four cats are rescues and the fourth is sort of a rescue. He was purchased from a bad breeder in Conway. He would have been put down since his problem impacts his show qualities.

If I can lend a hand in getting your PC to them, let me know.

-Robert

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Short of my finding someone to drive it there, I'm going to have to ship it.

FuRR is a recent group, about 3-4 years-old so they might not have been going when you were there.

I was on the founding board of FuRR and it was and is a struggle. Money and volunteers are always short. AR is dog country. I.E. CARE, which is, I believe, the largest non-profit humane group (other than the Humane Society of Pulaski County) says its a dog and cat group, but mainly rescues 80-90% dogs and 10% cats. Because cats were so underserved in AR, that's why FuRR started.

Even though I'm in FL now, I am still maintaining FuRR's website and do a little webwork for CARE also.

We have several cats, all rescues, most through FuRR. We always encourage getting cats from humane groups or shelters, but your cat from the breeder was also a true rescue.

If you ever feel like doing a good deed, send FuRR a buck or two. Their address is on the website. There are an official 501(3c) or whatever its called, so the donation is tax deductible and they have very little overhead, the money goes to the cats.

They operate at least monthly a spay/neuter clinic that sterilizes pet cats and ferals (after a recovery period the ferals are re-released). FuRR also has an active adoption program that has found homes for many, many cats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks