Anyone dream of tornadoes often?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Derrik Draven, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    For some reason, I've had tornadoes as a recurring theme in my dreams for more years than I can count.

I've never seen one for real. Never been traumatized by one. But yet, SOOOOOOOOOO friggin' many times they make an appearance in my dreams.

Just 2 nights ago I dreamed I was out in the midwest somewhere. Stopped at a convenience store for something. (probably Coke and beef jerky [​IMG]), and I noticed dark clouds overhead. The store owner mentioned that they were expecting bad weather soon.

Well, duh....I turned around and, sure enough, here comes a damn tornado, bearing right down on me. I remember it wasn't one of those nasty dark colored ones but, was kind of white...clean looking.

Anyhoo, no place really to hide, so I'm looking for a ditch to lay in and hug the ground for all I'm worth when a dust cloud kicks up, right where I'm running, and I get grabbed by a twister just starting to form over my head. I get tossed over the road and I'm basically okay.

Next thing I know...and you guys know how damn weird dreams can be, I'm sitting in a car, some chick I don't know is next to me, another twister hits us and I remember thinking that I hope we'll be alright. After it hits, all is quiet, we have nervous giggles, I look at her and she is pale white, with some funky looking eyes and I realize that we didn't make it and we're dead....but happy!!!! [​IMG]

That's about it.

This has been going on for decades...

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Did you see a flying cow???[​IMG]

I suggest you retire that Twister DVD too!

Brent

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Holy shit! I'm in the same boat as you! You are asking a question I've been asking people a lot lately. I have been having dreams of tornadoes quite a bit. I don't know why in the hell I keep having these dreams, but I do.

The dreams I've been having lately consist of multiple tornadoes going on. I live in the midwest, so that's where my dreams take place, but there are at least 10 tornadoes in each. I'm never scared of the tornadoes, but I always seek shelter. I've been having these dreams for quite a while, yet I've never seen one. I have, however, seen the aftermath of a tornado just last month. My mom lives in Joplin, MO where a tornado passed through just 3 miles north of her. Talk about destruction! [​IMG]

One dream that I recall vividly, from when I was much younger, was about a single tornado. I used to live in the country in a house with no basement, and this is the exact setting the dream took place. We knew a tornado was coming so all in my family, minus my oldest sister, got out of the house to go to an empty field across the street where, for some reason, there was a cellar. However, my oldest sister refused to leave the house for whatever reason. As we watched the tornado get to my house, it turned into a huge gorilla (King Kong size), rip off the roof of our house, and pick up and eat my sister. Weird!

Of course this dream stemmed from me being mad at my sister, but the most recent dreams don't seem to have any relevance.

I, just yesterday, looked up the interpretation of a tornado dream and this is what it says, "Tornado: Destructive mental forces, temper tantrums, extreme emotional upsets." Not really what I feel, but whatever.

Derrik, I was actually thinking of posting the same topic. Maybe we'll see that we're not alone.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Derrik:

There is one thing about which I dream more than any other subject or idea: the tornado.

Ever since 1965, I have dreamed about tornadoes at least monthly and many times weekly.

Why 1965? Perhaps I was overtly enthralled by the Palm Sunday outbreak. From that point on, I have read about the storms whenever and wherever possible. I even went to the trouble of hunting down a copy of the long-out-of-print Tornadoes of the United States, a definitive (but now out-of-date) 1953 tome by Snowden D. Flora.

So, now, in the era of video, when tornadoes are often captured in action on tape, wow!

By the way, I have seen three of these magnificent storms (including one of the killer events from the legendary super-outbreak of April 1974).

I love tornadoes. Always have, always will. Such magnificent, majestic demonstrations of natural beauty and natural danger.

My most recent tornado dream: only two weeks ago. In color. Maybe even surround sound.

I kid you not. The most recurring subject in my dreams is the tornado. (Followed by furry creatures who walk on all fours, have whiskers and deep and alluring eyes and pointed ears and who purr a lot.)

JB

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And I would dearly love to be able to have witnessed the greatest storm that occurred in the recorded history of the continental United States: the Great Tri-State Tornado of 1925 — probably, if measured today, an F6, which lasted more than three and a half hours and rampaged through three states, killing 689 people in the process. It is said, according to eyewitnesses, that in the peak stages of this storm, the parent supercell and cloud were so low to the ground it was impossible to see the vortex segment. People described it as a "boiling, roiling black mass of clouds." Based on the measured damage, the vortex cloud may have been a mile and a half wide. It traveled at a forward velocity of more than 70 miles per hour, and there is no way now to know what the wind speed was.

The Tri-State Tornado may have dwarfed even the Oklahoma City storm of a few years ago. It is unique in the annals of recorded tornado history.

(Though, in 1989, a deadly tornado in India killed more than a thousand people.)

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Mmmmmmm, red lucious juicy vine-ripened food of the gods... Mmmmmm...

Oh, you said Tornadoes.... Oops [​IMG]

Jay

7. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I often dream about tornadoes also. Ever since I had a close encounter with one a few years back they are often in my dreams. In the dream I am rarely scared & watch intricate multiple vortex storms with fascination.

In real life I've seen quite a few "interesting" cloud formations go over, but I draw the line at wanting to see any more fully formed funnel clouds (unless I'm squarely BEHIND the damn thing!). A F4 went by a few miles north of my apartment this spring... I'm in the process of buying a house and when I do it WILL have a basement! [​IMG]

8. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I thought I was the only one, but then I never asked. I have very vivid tornado dreams. It is the only recurring subject I dream about. The very first nightmare I can remember from being young involved a tornado, watching it come across a field while in a car and being unable to get out of my seatbelt. I grew up in Illinois, so they were a real part of every spring/summer. I’ve had these dreams ever since. They are always different but usually very frightening. The most recent one was just last week, kinda silly really, a mini tornado came through the window and everything, including my wife and I were blowing in circles with our furniture. The multiple tornado theme also shows up a lot. If the dreams stopped, I would not miss them.

9. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I have them. Maybe two or three times in a month. It's odd, because I live in Chicago, and I've never seen one in the flesh. There hasn't been a tornado here since I believe 1969, and that was before I was born. I'm a pretty fearless guy, but tornadoes scare the sh*t out of me. I'd probably be petrified if I were ever to experience one. My wife wanted to move to Texas in 5 years, but since Tornado Alley starts where she was looking at moving to, I told her it was out of the question. But for some odd reason, I'm intrigued by them. If there's a special on Discovery or TLC, I'm all over it. Glad to know I'm not alone ...

Freddy C.

10. Derrik Draven

Chris
    Cool!!! I'm NOT alone! [​IMG]

Yeah, usually a few times a month a twister makes an appearance in a dream.

Second to tornadoes is tsunami's. For some reason, tidal waves also wander around in my subconscious. I think it was "The Poseidon Adventure" that ruined me.

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Never had a tornado dream. A have a lot of dreams about plane wrecks. Not about being on the plane, just about seeing planes crash dangerously close to me.

Weird.

12. Derrik Draven

Chris

13. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I don't know what is stranger me, living in southern ontario never even seen a real tornado yet constantly dreaming about them OR finding out I'm not the only one[​IMG]

For years I have always dreamt about tornados. That and plane crashes, alien attacks and being shot and walking away. Very morbid[​IMG] A lot of the time I have lucid dreams. Especially when something bad is about to happen. I don't wake up but realize Its only a dream while in my dream and change it.

The scariest dreams I get often are where I try to call someone(mostly fiancee) and can't dial the number. That was due in part to a long distance realtionship in our early years together. Funny thing is she can never remember her dreams. Me I have a hard time to forget.

14. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Whoa...this is just creepy!

Like some of you, I thought I was alone in my constant dreams involving tornadoes. It has gotten to the point now where when I dream of one I will say to someone else in my dream..."Wow...this is just like that dream I always have!", which is stupid since I am dreaming.

I have no exceptional facination with twisters. I have never been traumatized by one. However, I sure do dream about them a lot. Usually there is multiple twisters in my dreams too.

Thank-you guys for making me feel not so alone in this...and also freaking me out that others would have the exact same thing happening to them! [​IMG]