What's new

Anyone do RC helicopters? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wondered if it could actually fly. Guess what? It actually does........at least as a model.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thinking that this is my next bird:
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/trex-450-plus.html
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/align-helicopters.html
I'll be playing with the simulator for the next week or so then will probably nab one of these guys. Plan is to get a RTF 450 series then buy a kit and build myself once I'm really ready with CP flight at more expensive price points.
My experiments with the lower cost ones were not so much fun. Everyone seems to say the bigger birds are actually easier to control but obviously come with higher price tags. The 450 kit above seems to be a nice compromise and comes with a pretty kick ass Futaba transmitter in Align OEM livery.
Seen some recommendations for trying the 120 size before jumping to 450, but those don't seem to be true CP.
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Bind-N-Fly-version-without-remote/dp/B003TREDXG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1344013027&sr=8-6

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bleh, I may have to hold off on that. I've put about 100 consecutive crashes on the sim, I just can't get the feeling right to keep CP airborn...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Thanks Sam! I just might have to look into one of these as well.
I can always use a second one.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, it is not an RC helicopter, but I decided to order one of these bables.

fms-f3a-olympus-1400mm-55-wingspan-pnp-airplane-motion-rc-11284274118_1024x1024.jpg

It is a full blown 1.4 meter pattern ship made completely from high strength foam. The colour scheme, except for the gray trim, is painted. It comes complete with metal gear digital servos, a 70A VFD and a high performance brushless outrunner motor with aluminum spinner included. Everything, for the most part, is pre-installed. Add a radio and batteries and go fly. Including a 15x8 prop, the cost all in, with shipping and taxes, 525 Canadian. That is crazy. At one time, it would cost me that much just for servos.

A friend of mine told me about this bird after seeing it fly at a contest. He ordered one as soon as he got home. I took a look at his. The fit and finish looks pretty good for an all foam bird. The only downside of these ARTF's is the lack of choice in colour schemes. It is like Ford's model T. You can get it in any colour as long as it is blue, red and white.

Radio installed, the weight is around 5 pounds. This should make a great practice ship, right up to Expert (Masters in the USA) in F3A. Putting 5 to 600 in the air makes me sweat less than the 2000 that I was looking at if I had bought the plane I was originally looking at.

I'll look at a more expensive bird if I decide to get back into this type of flying more seriously, but this one looks good and flies well, so it should hold me in good stead for quite a while, unless I pile drive it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Slightly related. Walking my dog today, a neighbor kid has an RC car, really good control, up and down the sidewalk, quick turns, U-turns, kind of fun to watch. Then he aims it straight at me and my dog. She kind of freaks out, we step aside to let it pass. What a jerk, I should've stomped on it and said "Oops".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks