What's new

Anyone dig The Monkees' HEAD? (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I am constantly surprised by the number of people who have not only seen this film, but find it interesting. I remember back in the days when the only way to see it was on Cinemax and then only rarely.
I embarked upon a venture to combine some of the theories about what the film might mean with some of the facts that I knew about it, and I have recorded a "do-it-yourself" audio commentary that you can play along with the DVD.
If anyone has the Rhino DVD, I'd love for you to check this out and let me know what you think. Here's the link on the site DVDTracks.com:
http://www.dvdtracks.com/track/track.php?track=23

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I am constantly surprised by the number of people who have not only seen this film, but find it interesting.
"We hope you like our story / Although there isn't one / That is to say there's many / That way there is more fun!"

That is one movie where you don't need drugs to feel like your tripping. They wanted the movie to not be a long episode, and - damn! - did they succeed!

Love the music, too! From the serenity and awkward 5/8 measure of "As We Go Along" to the electrical riffs of "Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?" ... if you're in the right mindset, that is just such a cool movie.

Mark Beise

Agent
This is a great movie. I was actually listening to a compilation cd of mine with "Circle Sky" playing when I saw this thread. I also saw "Vanilla Sky" last weekend for the first time (fantastic movie in my opinion) and almost fell out of my chair when the "Purpoise Song" started playing in the movie. Thats my favorite Monkees song. Does anyone know what the original aspect ratio of "Head" is? I have the pan and scan DVD but was just curious if maybe it was open matte.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
HEAD is 1.85. Supposedly the DVD is an open matte transfer, but I think it might be slightly zoomed throughout. There are shots in "Daddy's Song" and both appearances of "Porpoise Song" that show matte garbage in the top or bottom of the screen that would not be visible if matted for widescreen. I even addressed this in my commentary.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie! I'll try the commentary (after I replace my motherboard) and let you know what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks