What's new

Anyone curious about Pannys? (1 Viewer)

ShawnMac

Auditioning
I don't know if this information has been posted here previously and I am sorry to repeat if it has. I have been dropping in on this forum for several years now and am finally taking the time to post especially with all the concern and speculation about the future of the line-up. Here is the breakdown:

to conserve space I am condensing the color code of models. for those not familiar with Panasonic's coding, an S on the end is silver and K is black. Oh yeah, N for the 91 is "champagne"; light gold.

GOING AWAY AND END OF LIFE DATE

DVD-RV32K/S 02/03
DVD-RP62K/S 03/03
DVD-RP82K/S 03/03 (yeah...right!)
DVD-XP30S 01/03
DVD-XP50 01/03
DVD-RP91K/N 03/03
DVD-CV52 03/03
DVD-CP67K/S 04/03
DMR-E30K/S 02/03
DMR-HS2 03/03

NEW MODELS AND DATE OF INTRODUCTION
DVD-S35K/S April single disk; progressive
DVD-S55S April single disk; progressive
DVD-F65K/S April 5 disc; progressive
DVD-F85S May 5 disc; progressive; slim
DMR-E30K/S March DVD RAM recorder; progressive; IEEE1394; PCM/CIA slot
DMR-E90H May; same as E30 plus 80GB hard drive

(':thumbsdown:')(':angry:')(':thumbsdown:')

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If anybody at Panasonic is reading this: now that your Technics audio division is gone, how about an "enhnanced audio" version of one of these players? One with a discrete component analog output section. A "video off" button. And maybe even some kind of bass management section too--an analog-based one would work great!. Price it around $250 (I would buy it, but it's too late! I already ordered a player from a competitor).

LJ

MikeSRC

Second Unit
The DVD-S35 has been out for about a month now. There's a thread about it on this forum. All of the new players use Panasonic's one-chip solution for MPEG decoding, deinterlacing etc. The deinterlacing is not motion-adaptive and the new players' picture quality is not up to the standards of the Sage/Faroudja equipped players.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanx Panasonic for lowering the quality of your DVD player line. Brilliant move. I hope you reap great profits :frowning:

I am still confused as to how the players compare. How does the CP67 compare to the CP72? I know the RP-82 was king.

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a new CP-72 for $123 net, (long story) so I can play DVD-RAM diskc from the E-30 to burn to DVD-r. The CP-72 replaced a CP-67. I unpacked the CP-72, put Avia disk in the 67, ran 200 IRE res pattern. Installed CP-72, ran 200IRE res pattern.

Result?

I could see no difference at all on my ISF'd 65" TV.
FWIW

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
200 IRE res pattern? Ok. What about de-interlacing and mpeg decoding for DVD's?

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't had the chance to check reference material yet, it's only been a couple of hours, and I'm too busy cracking up at Dave Chappelle right now!

I'll update tomorrow.

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I did notice was the lack of Y/C delay, opposite the results posted in the Progressive shootout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks