What's new

Anyone compared the Onix Ref 1 against Gr Research AV-2? (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Just curious if a comparison of these two bookshelves has been done? I have narrowed it down to these choices but it would be great to hear from someone who has heard both.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Basically I am looking to spend around 2700-3700 for six speakers. I already have an SVS so I am good in that department.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jed,

I have heard both of them in the same room at the same time. First of all, keep in mind that I make the GR cabinets so my response may not be considered totally unbiased. But I will do my best to hit on what I feel where the differences in the sound of the two speakers without being biased.

IMHO, the Ref 1's have a slight edge in "detail" from the tweeter and have a little more bass output which I personally feel is due to a slight boost in the low end response. The A/V-2's seem to have flatter overall response and have better dynamic capabilites due to the additional 5.25" woofer. It should also be noted that the A/V-2's are a 4 ohm speaker. I'm not sure about the Ref 1's.

Since you have a sub, I don't see the additional bass extension being much of a benefit unless you plan to listen to them full range for music. I do, however, feel the added dynamics of the A/V-2's is a benefit. But all in all, I'd say both speakers sound fairly similar.

You'll have to decide if these differences sway you one way or the other. It should also be noted that Danny will allow you a 1 week in home demo for only the cost of shipping the speakers to the next person wanting to demo them. I also believe that AV123 allows a fairly generous demo period and only charges the cost of shipping should you decide to return them. So maybe you could set things up so that you could try them both in your home at the same time.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Brian, thanks for the response. That was a great comparison. Unfortunately it still leaves me up in the air what to do. I just sent gr-research an email about the demo so who knows? Maybe I will audition both at the same time. In all honesty, I've been to your website more than a few times in my life. In fact, you were who I had in mind when I was thinking of the AV-2's, so I appreciate your response and I do understand your bias. How long does it take you to build a pair of AV-2's? What is the usual turnaround from order to delivery?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jed,

It takes roughly 2 weeks to build, veneer, and finish a pair of cabinets. It usually takes a few more days if I also build the crossover and do the full speaker assembly.

Of course, all this is based on how much business I've got ahead of you at the time the order is placed. Right now, an order placed today would probably not even be started for a few weeks from now. I have several large orders that I'm working on at the moment and they take priority. Some things, like the finishing process, only take an hour or so out of the day so there is down time that can be used to work on another project.

Mark LS

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Jed...

Both are really wonderful products...

Please let us know if we can assist in any way... In home trial is always the best avenue for discovery (IMHO)... when it comes to speakers... :)

If *I* may serve you in any way... feel free to e-mail with me... [email protected] --- I'm in China now... but my e-mail is working great again here... (Local server is now up, with ADSL in my home)...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, thanks for replying. Its humbling that you would take the time to respond from China. I have been a big fan of your company for some time and own the Diva 2.1's (for my second room) and have an order of Tykes for my bedroom on the way so I really like the idea of trying the Ref 1's. I read about the way you treat your customers and its honestly second to none. I also enjoy the family atmosphere you and your employees foster on your forum, its a nice place to relax. I am confident I would be happy with the Ref's but I want to cover all my bases. I am sure you understand. Thanks again for your thoughts, they will weigh heavy on my decision. If I have any questions I won't hesitate to email. I look forward to my tykes.

Brian, thanks for the answers. If that is your average turnaround then I am fine with that. I can assure you that I am still very interested in hearing the AV-2's but I am not sure it will happen anytime soon which is discouraging. Either way, I will wait to see what I hear tomorrow from gr-research and then my decision will become even less cloudy.

Mark LS

Stunt Coordinator
Cool...

Thanks Jed... I'd lend you mine if I were home... :)

Vegas is just a short hop away from CO, so maybe we can get you to stop on over for a day and take a listen... dinner is always on me...

Are you are planning to visit CES... let me know... We will have a booth this year for the ONIX and Rocket brands... and we'll have some nifty surprises there as well, including the incredible ELEO 46" Plasma TV... (A must see)...

I really appreciate your comments about our forum, and our products... it all adds up to a "worth while experience" for all of us...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jed,

Don't get discouraged just yet. I'm sure you will hear from Danny today. Last I heard there wasn't much of a wait. He may even have a pair sitting around ready to go.

You may even want to go over to www.audiocircle.com and check out his forum there. You could post there asking about the lead time for demos and I'm sure he'd respond fairly quickly.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hey Jed....I replied on AVS as well but I have heard the Criterion and the Ref 1's in the past...Can you tell me a little more about what your uses for the speakers are and what they will be powered with? :cool:

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Oh man...two threads on two seperate boards on the same subject and some of the same participants can get a little nutty! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks