Anyone compared AVM20 with PIO and Denon flagships?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Just wondering if anyone has actually compared the AVM20 with the 49tx and 5803. What I mean is pairing the three units with the same amp/amps.

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Home Theater Magazine has a review of those three units in this months issue. They liked the Anthem best with the Pio and Denon pretty much neck in neck.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Yes I am aware of the Home Theater Magazine issue but they compared AVM20 w/ PVA7 vs stock 49tx and 5803. What I want to know is which is a better pre/pro. The only way to tell is to coupled the 3 with the same amp and test it out right?

4. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Howard,
    Do a search, Michael Lee of Long Island, NY did such a comparison... This would have been around 3/2002...
    [​IMG]
    I tried to do the search but for some reason it's not working for me...
    I wound out ordering the 5803 myself, based partly on this review and also the BELLS & WHISTLES of the DENON as a stand alone pre/pro combo... DPLII, Dolby Headphones, DTS EX, AC-3 RF (Laserdisc), 3 COMPONENT VIDEO inputs, DUAL 8 channel inputs for FUTURE proof format, etc...
    The only things I envy from the other units are:
    Pioneer - Auto calibration of unit out of box
    Anthem - Native 1st class pre/pro, BALANCED connections...
    For me Denon was the clear cut winner at it's price point if the Anthem were cheaper or the DENON more expensive things would have been different...
    -Alex