What's new

Anyone compared audio on the Denon DVD-2200 and DVD-2900? (1 Viewer)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Jigesh,
I did a comparison of my Sony 555ES vs the Denon 2900. Here is a post where I do a quick summary:
Comparison

Basically, the 555ES sounded better than the 2900 in every aspect, but the most noticeable difference was in 2ch SACD. Hope this helps

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jigesh,

I don't have the Sony 'C222ES, but I have a 'C333ES and 'C555ES in the same system as the '2900 and plan to do some comparisons. On its own, the '2900 sounds good, but I will do the comparisons.

Chung,

Thanks for sharing your observations. I will do some comparisons here, but I am not surprised by your observations. After all, the 'C555ES did retail for $1700 and does not have a video section, which can detract from audio performance.

Mauro Colella

Auditioning
Real Name
Mauro
To NickSo and anyone else in Canada:

What kind of prices are you seeing on the Denon 2900?

The 2200 goes for about $1000.00 CDN (50% exchange rate!! and the 2900 is going for about $1900.00 CDN (whoa 90% exchange rate!!!) in my neck of the woods in Quebec. If you're getting the same prices, can you explain how come we Canadians are paying such ridiculously high prices when compared to the US prices of $629 and $999 list respectively? Anyone bought in the US lately?

Stumped and curious.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Mauro. You must be a pretty bad haggler.

I did bought the 5900 (yes the 5900) for 1925$ cdn, and from a dealer in Québec.

At this price, the 5900 is a real bargain... :D

BTW. To answer the original question of this thread... forget the 2900 and buy the 2200. I did try both in-house and the 2200 is 99% the 2900. Why pay more for a better build quality and supposedly a better power supply? The DAC's are better on paper... but for real it doesn't justify the difference in price... IMHO.

And if you can't afford the 5900, then forget the 2900 and go with the new Pio 59ai. Future-proof with HDMI and firewire. The 2900 is already a thing of the past...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I remember the sales guy at ABSound was quoting me $1399... not certain though.

Mauro Colella

Auditioning
Real Name
Mauro
Levesque,

If you really paid under 2 bills Canadian for the 5900, how about telling me the store or hinting where. That's one hell of a price. I would really appreciate it.

The second part of my question was in regards to Denon's list pricing in Canada which appears to be out to lunch for the top models. The lower end models tend to be almost US price converted.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Levesque.....

Nor do I feel the 5900 is that much better audio-wise than the 2900, and yes, I've tried the 2200, 2900, and 5900.....To each their own. Keith has just stated that the 2900 sounded better than his 2200, and this was my experience when I compared the two as well.

Reg

Levesque

Supporting Actor
In my experience, the 2200 was sounding almost the same has the 2900, when paired to my Anthem AVM20, my Bryston 4BSST, using my Paradigm Signature S8 and C5.

IMHO, there is no reason to buy a 2900 anymore, when you can buy the new Pio 59ai for around the same price. The 2200 is a better bargain, granting that you have to use component video, and no firewire. If not the 2200, then the Pio. With the Pio, you have HDMI and firewire, and probably the same sound quality. Why go with the 2900 then? The 2900 is WAY to pricey for what it does, and has already a foot deep in the past.

Come on. No DVI or HDMI connection to pair with digital displays, no firewire. Already obselete.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I always thought the Pioneer was closer in price to the 5900. The msrp of the 59ai is $600.00 more than the 2900's. I agree that the 2900's lack of dvi/hdmi/i-link dates it. Rumor is that there will be a 3900 this Summer.

Reg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Leveske,
I believe the major concern in this thread by the author was the audio section, not the video connections.
Yes, by now the whole non French speaking world know of your "disslike" of the 2900,so why not move on?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

Oh, Snap! First Conan and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, and now this! Lewis, you are the heir apparent to the great Robert Smigel and Don Cherry :D

But in all honesty, Levesque has kind of beaten a dead horse with his repeated "bashing" (I am putting it in quotes because it might not quite be to that extent, but you get my gist) of the 2900, and his constant trumpeting of the 5900. JMHO, though;)

Brian Gentry

Agent
Calling the 2900 obsolete is simply uneducated, pompus, self serving, and inaccurate.

The video world is not defined by fixed pixel displays and therefor does not demand that all players use digial connections. It is well known that DVI (or HDMI if you must) connections really only benefit fixed pixel displays and then *only* if you get a 1 to 1 pixel mapping of your display (i.e. DVI outputs the exact native resolution of your display device).

There are still plenty of excellent displays in the world that are not fixed pixel... Sony G90 anyone?

The analog video output of the 2900 is outstanding. Not only is the deinterlacing top notch, but the cleanliness of the analog signal provides a detailed, highly saturated image unmatched by the vast majority of other players.

I tire of the endless pride of ownership issues I find on these forums. Quantifying one's observations in concrete terms is one thing. Calling a clearly outstanding player "obsolete" is quite another.

I used to think that Levesque was misunderstood and maybe a little too enthusiastic. I now see that pride of ownership overshadows any objective thought he might have had.

Brian.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
And if you plan on buying a fix pixel display in the last year, then the 2900 is the way to go?

CRT's are on the way out. Component is on the way out.

It's ok to point me has a 2900 basher.

But some 2900 lovers should have a better look at themselve.

I think that for around the same privc the new Pio 59ai is alot better then the 2900. Gives you so much more then the 2900, and will be able to last for more years then the 2900.

But you will understand in 1 year or 2 when it will be the time to change your old RPTV, or planning on a DLP, D-ILA or LCD front projectors.

Then you will understand why the 2900 is absolete.

No reason to buy the 2900 today. Buy a Pio 59ai for the same price, and enjoy the HDMI and the firewire connections.

Did you know that some people are owning other thing then CRT's RPTV? You know... like plasma, LCD and other set? You still think plugging your old CRT RPTV over component is the way to go? Then enjoy your 2900. Did you know there are some firewire receivers and pre-pro on the market?

To much 2900 lovers hangin-out here. We never see those guy on AVS protecting the 2900. On AVS, poeple already forgot the 2900, and are talking about the new crop of DVI-players (and HDMI) like the new LG 7832 player, Samsung, Liteon, Denon 5900, Pio 59ai, Bravo D1, Momitsu, etc.

But you can all stay here and tap yourself on the shoulder for buying the 2900, when the rest of the world is buying new products for the same price that will bring then in the digital displays era.

And stop the french bashing thing. It's starting to feel like racism in here. It's getting old. Find better arguments to protect your 2900. If you want to convince me that the 2900 is TODAY a better buy then the Pio 59ai for the SAME price, then put some food on the table, and not some crappy racist remarks. Please.

And I can't believe that with the new Pio 59ai out, people in here are still telling poeple to buy the 2900. The 59ai offers so much MORE for around the same price. Probably 99% of the PQ and sound quality of the 2900, but with HDMI AND firewire to bring you in the future. Future-proof.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Levesque......

You are beyond arrogant. Have you even read the posts CLEARLY of those who responed to your seemingly tired anti- 2900 rants? Get over it man, we're talking audio here, and why do you continue to insist that the 2900 and Pioneer 59ai are the same price? The 59ai's msrp is priced closer to the 5900 than the 2900. Why can't you ever enter into a thread and allow it to remain civil? I agree with others that your anti-2900 rants are becoming an obsession.

Reg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah we grew up!;)
You know lately I spend more time listening to my rig then talking about it on the internet,and that's why I think most of us buying them,don't you think?

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I think Alain has a point since these are dvd players so I assume movies are watched too. I currently have a RPTV of the CRT type, but am looking at the big 70" Sony LED and Samsung DLP so the lack of DVI output is a factor. In regard to price comparison with Denon and Elite, it has been my experience that you can get a substantially greater discount on Elite than Denon from authorized dealers. I have seen the Elite advertised at $1200 at an authorized B and M store, which does not include any additional discount you may be able to get as a frequent customer. ;) I think I can get into the Elite for less than $300 more than the 2900, which makes this a better deal for a lot of people.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hi, i must say that i would agree with going with the dvd-2200. I think the main difference between the two is that the dvd-2900 has built in cache to allow for faster switching of chapters between the disc(8MB buffer built into it) Other than that, i would go with the 2200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.