Anyone compare the V.2 to the V.3 Paradigm reference series.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Frank La Rocca, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Frank La Rocca

After about 2 Years in a smaller apartment with most of my home theater in boxes, I am now in a bigger apartment. Once I'm done work on the living room I plan on setting up my home theater again. This is what I currently have..

Studio 60 v.2 Fronts
    Studio CC v.2 Center
    Studio ADP v.2 Surrounds
    Studio 20 v.2 Rears
    PW-2200 Subwoofer

My question is has anybody compared the new V.3 reference series with the V.2's. I have a bad case of upgradeitus and I really love that new sycamore (light oak) finish for the V.3. I've heard that they have a similar timbre so I can uprgrade piece meal instead of all at once. I was just wondering if the sound has really improved to justify the extra cost. Otherwise I'll just unpack what I have and enjoy them.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do a search (I know board is slow), there are at least 2 threads already discussing this extensively.

3. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Keep what you have. The weakest link in there is the PW2200.

Upgrading the sub would give you a noticeable improvement IMHO. If you want to stay with Paradigm, they have a new version of the Servo 15 coming out soon.

4. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

As stated there is plenty of discussion on this.

And yes, the Sycamore finish is gorgeous [​IMG] (I have a pair)

That said, you already have a complete speaker set. If you're really intent on upgrading, demo the speakers head to head and go from there -- IMO reviews should point you in a general direction, rather than at a specific choice.

IMO again, you're better off doing a true upgrade (higher up in the speaker foodchain) rather than what I think is pretty close to a lateral move.

5. Frank La Rocca

Jason I see your point about the lateral move but two things come to mind. 1) Going to the 100 V.3's and Servo 15 would be an improvement and 2) If I do go even higher up on the food chain then I'd also have to upgrade the electronics, i.e separates instead of my Denon AVR4802 and the upgrades would never end.
    I guess that I should audition the V.3's and figure out how much I could get for my current speakers and how much the V'3s would cost and see if the difference is worth it.

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Frank,

IMHO, your logic makes sense if the price difference is not overwhelming to move to the ver 3 100's and you hear a noticable improvement.

The only thing I would suggest whatever your decision, if you are not happy with the sub even WITHOUT upgrading the main's, the sub would be a worthy consideration.