Anyone come accross sensitive Denon protection circuit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone experienced very sensitive protection circuits? I have been informed that once the receiver goes into protection mode, the only way to get it out is by having it serviced, and I assume if you buy from an unauthorized dealer, then, that you will not be able to have it fixed free of charge.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Kyle,

I own a 5800 and have never had the protection circuits go off on me even at high SPL's.

P.S. I see you live in Mililani. My sister lives near the Kaimuki business district.

Patrick

3. Myram

Myram Second Unit

My 4800 went into protection mode once, it turned out to be a wire shorting on the back of the unit that was my fault. Once I fixed that problem the 4800 came right back to life.

But my buddy has a 1601 that just went into protection mode last week and won't come out. I went over and checked all speakers wires at the unit and the speakers, and all connections, initialized the micro-processor, and nothing happened. He is going to be taking it in for service to get it fixed.

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've accidentally touched some speaker wires together before on my AVR-3300. The protection mode kicked in. I shut the unit off, fixed the problem, and turned it back on. It worked fine (and still does, 2 years later).

Todd

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I've had my 3802 for several months now and it's never gone into the protection mode. I had some concerns originally as the unit is in an entertainment center and does not have the Denon-suggested 2 inches on either side of the unit. However, I did make sure that it had ample amount of space (about a foot of clearance) above it and that seemed to do the trick.