Anyone collect Swiss watches???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DavidMich, Nov 11, 2003.

1. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone here had a fascination with Swiss wristwatches....What do you own?
    I just bought a very nice CORUM watch.....anyone heard of them??
    Opinions??

2. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I've never heard of CORUM. Got any pics?

I don't specifically collect Swiss watches, I just like nice watches in general. As for Swiss watches, I own a 30 year old yellow gold Omega Constellation "Pie Pan". I also have a 1990 Breitling Colt (Stainless). Both were given to me by my Dad who is retired and buys watches for fun.

Ralph

3. DavidMich

I don't have any pics, but check ou the links below....
    CORUM makes very high-end watches. There are known to have some of the most fashion-forward designs in the industry.
    www.corum.ch
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ecordstoskip=0

Here lately, there have been alot of the lower-priced Corums for sale on ebay, Usually, there are more of the upper-end products (loaded with diamonds/saphires/rubies/etc.

I like the one made in the early seventies where they took a very valuable $20 liberty gold coin....(who knows how much the coin alone is worth) and "split" it. The front of the coin is the front dial, and the caseback is the back of the coin.....looks very dressy....great for a formal evening out wearing a tux!!

The two watches you descibed above are quite nice!!!
    Hang onto them!! I sold an Omega Seamaster about 10 years ago, and have always missed it!!

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I have several Swiss watches. They are all automatic, not quartz. I have a Maurice Lecroix Big Date, a Limes Vintage Night Flight (Swiss movement, case made in Germany) and an Ebehard 8 Day. They are in the $800 to $2000 range MSRP. Automatic watches generally keep their value (and sometimes go up) where quartz don't. Corum's unfortunately don't have the cache they once had but they are beautiful watches nevertheless. The best Swiss watches - and the most expensive, are the one that have in-house movements. These innards are virtually hand-made and take from weeks to months to complete. They start at about $5000 U.S. and go upwards. Some watches only have a handful made of that particular model and can cost up to $1 million! The more complex the movement - called complication, the higher the price. Check out Watch Times Magazine usually available at Borders or Barnes and Noble for reviews and pics of new models.

5. DavidMich

Corum Chronoswiss, they make Cal. 122 inhouse, a movement based on an old Enicar ebauche, they have a large stock of old parts and have the missing parts made, otherwise they use Valjoux for the chronographs, Cal. 122 isn't sold to other brands
    (Patek Phillipe uses Valjoux movements in thier chronographs, too!!) They also make a tiny hand-wind movement that they use in a few limited edition watches, like the "Golden Bridge".
    They have been making some very interesting watches the last two or three years.....According to their website, all are hand-made, and some only come in a limited production run of 10, 25, 50, 500 or 1000 pieces!!

Recently, Corum bought back stock from shareholders, and they are now working to bring the image back to where it used to be.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The Swiss watch industry has been undergoing major changes. Companies are being merged while old names such as Invicta (which used to be mostly Japanese mvts) are now being made in Switzerland. Sales of Swiss watches were down last year for the first time in many years. There's just too many brands and choices I guess. Say kids, what time is it? [​IMG]