What's new

Anyone checked out Paul Anka's Rock Swings? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Paul Anka takes rock songs from Van Halen's Jump to Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit and does them in a "swinging standard" style. I guess it depends on your mood whether it's campy or whether it works--it's certainly better than Pat Boone's attempt. Some of it works really well, like the Pet Shop Boys' It's a Sin. Funniest moment? Paul Anka singing the words "Like Frank, he said 'I did it my way'" on Bon Jovi's It's My Life. That's Paul doing this at the audience: ;)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:s0d8vwxwa9tk

Sound clips and a review at the above link. I hope there hasn't been a thread about this, but a search turned up nothing on "Anka."

Came out June 7, so it's ultra new.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
It's a lot of fun to listen to - he plays it straight, not campy. the arrangements are quite good.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's what I'm finding, too, and I prefer it. I'm not that much into camp. I've been hearing it a couple of weeks on the local "legends" station, but I just picked it up today. Good so far.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I saw him perform Nirvana's classic song Smells Like Teen Spirit on the David Letterman show a few weeks ago, and I thought it was quite good. Haven't heard any of the other songs off of the album, but I do want to check them out sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks