Anyone catch Spider-Man last night on HBO HD?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by HankM, Oct 7, 2003.

1. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I watched some of it and I don't know if it's just me but I haven't viewed my DVD in a while, the picture on HBO HD looked way better than the DVD. Colors were brighter but real solid with little or no film grain. The whole film looked the way it should for a comic book movie. I remember my DVD being a little on the soft side with grain. Here's hoping that the upcoming Superbit release looks like what I seen on HBO HD last night.
    :wink:

2. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    I did catch some of it, and it did look fantastic. I also caught The Hunt For Red October on HBO HD which not only looked really good, but was also presented in it's OAR, and not cropped to 16:9.[​IMG]

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I only caught the 1st hour, but the PQ really impressed. At first I thought it was an upconvert, but alot of the small details (on faces, signs, etc) popped up. Very cool. I don't know if 1.78:1 is the OAR, but HBOHD has a bad reputation for either cropping or upconverting.

4. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

HBO does crop all new transfers to 16:9, however, they do not upconvert! If it's in a 16:9 ratio, it's true HD. Showtime, however does do upconverted material.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I watched some of SPIDERMAN in the afternoon and if I had a D-VCR I probably would have taped it and dumped my DVD. To me, it looked more like comic book colors on HD than on the DVD. I also caught HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER and it also looked quite nice. Say, Christmas is coming up...