What's new

Anyone care to speculate what big title Paramount might release on Aug 27?? (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
In regards to the horror titles and whether we will be happy by them or not will have to wait until the announcement is made. At that time, I will be happy. Till then, it is the same ol', same ol'.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
If it turns out to be Saturday Night Fever, I will be sorely disappointed. It is not a title that I am looking forward to at all! Granted, Paramount wasn't asking specifically what Joe thought :), so if that's the title (as I suspect it is), then I'm happy for all those fans who are finally having their day.
I, on the otherhand, will sit at home and pine away for my precious Indy...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think the forum membership grew by about 25% just from people who bum rushed Martin's poll to request "Four Flies on Grey Velvet" and uncut versions of all of the Friday 13th movies, so I'm pretty sure Martin picked up on the enthusiasm for those titles. :) We will see for sure this spring or summer when the official announcments start showing up.
I, on the otherhand, will sit at home and pine away for my precious Indy...
While pining, why not put on your boogie shoes and enjoy an Oscar nominated performance from sweathog-made-good John Travolta? :) Seriously, though, the Indy films were off limits for the poll because Paramount had pretty much figured out that we will buy it when they can release it.
Regards,

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Glad to see I'm not the only person who is quite disinterested in SNF. As others have requested, I would much rather have Young Sherlock Holmes released.
Disco and John Travolta ... ewwww!
:eek:

Jared M

Stunt Coordinator
Either one of these and i'll be happy

Black Sheep

National Lampoon's Attack of the 5'2" Women

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I posted my Paramount Horror titles want list in another thread but I will list it again. If a couple of the films on my list are coming to DVD in September, I would be very, very happy.

Don't Look Now

Four Flies on Grey Velvet

Hammer films - Any

I Married a Monster From Outer Space

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

My Bloody Valentine

Phase IV

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Tenant, The

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
C'mon, guys...I know you're disappointed that it might be SNF. But it's something Martin told us months ago would be hitting this year, and it's definately a "big" title (101 on the all-time box office list...Paramount definately has unreleased items higher on the list, but they don't have control over everything about those...like Lucas' and Spielberg's involvement with Indy).

I realize that a lot of folks out there will just say "disco...yuk!" and pass on it. Just keep in mind that this is not a music video, it's an awesome film about a bunch of kids who's lives are going nowhere, and what they are trying to do about it. It was a sign of the times, not just in song and dance fads and in fashion statements, but in the way kids grew up and how they dealt with mommy and daddy and figuring out how to strike out on their own.

Ultimately, if you put the soundtrack aside (which I can't do myself...the BeeGee's rule!), you get a pretty darn good story that might just touch your heart if you let it.

Give it a chance. Don't believe the hype about this movie, you might just like it after all!

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
As for SNF, I've never seen it, but will be purchasing the disc when it comes out. What I would truly like to see is Urban Cowboy (Paramount, I think?)

At this point in time, are there any more A-list (under 10 years old) releases that Paramount has yet to release? Titanic, Braveheart, Gump, ______ I don't think that without a rerelease most of the A-list titles that they have are classics. Great films, but not recent blockbusters.

Did I miss the memo? How did Young Sherlock Holmes creep into the A-list group...

-Chad

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I already thought we pretty much got confirmation that Saturday Night Fever finally got worked out, though Grease is still hung up due to music rights, or maybe Paramount took the "rights money" for both and spent it on just SNF. ;)
I figure that some of those F13th's could stand for a release or improved release, plus that Four Flies on Grey Velvet that all the horror nuts love.
--- sidebar on that poll thread
Walter is right too, if the rest of you recall that HTF/Parmount poll got LINKED at a horror site, thus a "possible" disproportionate number of horror fans participating. I guess I should go look at the thread and see how many members really chose to stay after voting.
I was down on people "sniping" the thread and then leaving because, IMO, linking from a specialty site is basically the same as if Martin had simply polled that site INSTEAD. However, if people were willing to stay and join HTF full-time I was all for their voting.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I'm curious about 'horror' being linked to a 'big' title coming from Paramount. To me, those two terms don't belong together. Horror may have a following, but surely not to the point where Paramount would consider any horror title a 'big' release. SNF, (for those of us who grew up with disco, the BeeGees, etc.) was indeed a huge film, and highly representative of the generation of the time. There may be highly popular horror movies, but none I think of could ever be called 'big.' (maybe Carrie). Certainly not impactful like SNF was in its time.

As I recall, Hunt for Red October also got alot of comments in another of Martin's threads (can't find it)...I would love to see a 2-disc full blown release for that one!

DarrenA

Second Unit
-DVD Sewer reporting, from a "solid source" (which I assume was their good Episode I source), that work has only just begun in earnest on a digital restoration of the Indiana Jones films.
That seems like a rather strange report as I just watched Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom in High Definition two weeks ago that aired on network television. These were pristine OAR HD transfers of the films in Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Not sure what more the studios need to do to make Standard definition transfers on DVD?!

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
C'mon, guys...I know you're disappointed that it might be SNF. But it's something Martin told us months ago would be hitting this year, and it's definately a "big" title
Like I said before, while I personally don't care too much for SNF (and yes, I have seen it :)), I'm happy for the multitude of fans who have been waiting quite some time for its release.
I am in no way criticizing either Martin or Paramount for finally releasing one of their bigger titles, especially one that has been so hotly anticipated by such a large number of people.

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Guys...whats is the matter/ Does nothing please you? All i see is is constant complaints & bickering about this & that..yet nothing pleases you,when you seem to get your way,your favorite titles get released,sometimes full-blown special editions & so on,yet that isn't enough?
Rather than coming off as edcuated in HT + huge true movie lovers..your coming off as in-considerate snobs to other movie fans & there wants and so on.
Should'nt we all work together?
As for a horror title not being a 'big' release..that is just ignorant. If say it happened to be My Bloody Valentine uncut..that would be a BIG title/release..trust me. Think about it......classic well made slasher movie.Much better than the others being released at the time,lot of work went into state of the art one of a kind special effects.It was hacked(literally) to pieces by the MPAA...the uncut footage has NEVER seen the light of day before & fans have been dreaming of seeing it uncut since for the past 20(!) years.
That would truly be a big deal + moment for applause and something to celebrate. The true version of the film finnaly sees the light of day:)!!
...or maybe your happy with the ultra-hacked up current version that does'nt represent the director's vision?
I know i'm very un-happy with what happened to this film & refuse to watch it in it's current state.
So if it happens to be uncut. I will be VERY happy & buy a few copies:)
I'm sure if The Magnificent Amberson's was finnaly restored(if the footage still exists) & that would be a big deal to you.....so whats wrong with horror & movie fans getting something they want for a change? After all....they(even the classics) are just movies...for all to enjoy & should be treated equally rather than one above the other & get the right releases & that includes uncut versions.
We'll just have to wait and see though.

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Given Paramount's record, my guess is a Friday The 13th box set, free of anything remotely special editionified, and grossly overpriced. MAYBE a bonus disc with some weak documentaries.

Jodee

Screenwriter
You can usually gauge a title's popularity by how many votes it has at IMDB.
Saturday Night Fever - 3834 votes
My Bloody Valentine - 218 votes
I am actually surprised that MBV doesn't have more votes. I thought it was a prety big cult movie. Even pretty obscure movies often have 100+ votes at IMDB.
Now my biggest want from Paramount is Peter Bogdanovich's Targets. It stars Boris Karloff, so maybe it could be considered horror? Wishful thinking, I know...
And if Paramount is readng this thread, Targets has 308 votes. So if My Bloody Valentine is getting released, why not Targets?
:)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Saturday Night Fever's 25th Anniversary is this year. Plus Martin Blythe already said it was due in 2002. And considering that it is one of Paramount Pictures & Paramount Home Entertainment's crown jewels...I'm betting this is the big August title for 2002.

Grease has had the Olivia Newton John legal issue taken care of. Other issues may be withstanding but Grease celebrates its 25th Anniversary next year(2003). So it would be logical to think that Grease, another one of Paramount Pictures & Paramount Home Entertainment's crown jewels, could be August 2003's big title.

Heck...

We could get Saturday Night Fever and Trading Places on August 27, 2002. Considering that Trading Places was mentioned for 2002 and that Trading Places celebrates its 20th Anniversary in 2003.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Rather than coming off as edcuated in HT + huge true movie lovers..your coming off as in-considerate snobs to other movie fans & there wants and so on.
As for a horror title not being a 'big' release..that is just ignorant.
Here comes another holy war over the merits of horror movies. :rolleyes
Do you honestly believe that there are more fans of My Bloody Valentine than Saturday Night Fever? My Bloody Valentine (Uncut) is one of Paramount's highest profile unreleased titles? That is just ignorant.
I'm not opposed to the release of My Bloody Valentine. In all honesty I won't buy it, but I believe it should be released. Yet there is no way it can be elevated to the top of the A-list Paramount titles.
Remember, that poll was for B-list titles to fill the release schedule. If My Bloody Valentine was such an important cog in the Paramount marketing wheel, there would have been no reason to vote for it.
-Chad

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Well, now if I were going to argue anything related to movies, the last place I'd go to for proof of anything would be the Internet Movie Database. No offense. It isn't exactly the bastion of correct film information. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks