Anyone care to speculate what big title Paramount might release on Aug 27??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_O, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Gary_O

Gary_O Stunt Coordinator

The last 3 years Paramount has put out a big release during the last week of August.

1999: Titanic

2000: Braveheart

2001: Forrest Gump

2002: Saturday Night Fever perhaps??

Saturday Night Fever, Indiana Jones Trilogy, & Grease are the only big titles that come to mind that could be possibilities, and I dont think it will be Indiana Jones or Grease, so what other possibilities are there??

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

More than likely Saturday Night Fever. Since Staying Alive is coming August 20th, 2002.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I see no reason that Paramount would street the sequel on the 20th and then the big gun a week later! I think that SNF will hit the same day as SA!. Whether SA! slips a week or they later on announce SNF for the 20th is anyone's guess. But in either case, it's a late August big 'un, all right!

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Why, its perfectly obvious: Ridley Scotts' THE DUELISTS
    or perhaps DANGER! DIABOLIK
    [​IMG]

5. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I think it's quite safe to say at this point that Indiana Jones is NOT coming in August, and most likely is NOT coming in 2002 at all. Remember, at this point last year, we had solid leaks (remember that internal memo, and all that kind of stuff?) that Episode I was coming in October. I mean, we practically had a listing of the disc features for the October release of The Phantom Menace at this same point last year. Look at all the other "hotly anticipated" titles, and how information starts to leak out months in advance. We have nothing of the sort on Indiana Jones except for:
    -The Digital Bits saying, "If all goes well, maybe in 2002" in the rumor mill
    -DVD Sewer reporting, from a "solid source" (which I assume was their good Episode I source), that work has only just begun in earnest on a digital restoration of the films.
    Finally, with the recent talk from Frank Marshall that Spielberg might want to "fix up" some of this trilogy, it looks like we're going to be waiting until 2003 at the earliest.
    I hate to be a pessimist, but if Indiana Jones is coming this year, then it would be the greatest kept secret in the history of the DVD format.
    Regards,
    Dan

6. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I hope it's Young Sherlock Holmes, but The Duelists would be a good consolation prize.

8. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Hopefully an Apocalypse Now SE, but I don't think that I will ever live to see one.[​IMG]

9. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    A buddy of mine seems to think Indiana Jones will be released later in the year, around the same time that The Godfather was released. This would be the next big trilogy that they would release. Makes sense to me. I guess only time will tell.

Neil

10. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Neil, why does your friend think that? Is it just his opinion, or is he somehow connected to the project (or in the industry?).

If we're going to go with the logic that Paramount is going to release another trilogy in October (like The Godfather last year), then we *should* have heard more solid rumors at this point. There was a lot of information out there as early as late 2000 that The Godfather was coming in Fall 2001. I don't think the Indy trilogy is coming from Paramount in October 2002. Plus, it seems more like Lucasfilm's style to release them one at a time. The only small amount of hope I have is that fact that Ron Epstein said Paramount would blow our minds in 4th Quarter 2002, and the fact that he has been awfully silent on anything related to Indiana Jones. I think Ron's policy is to remain quiet until reliable information appears elsewhere.

Who the hell knows. All I know is that if I were betting money, I wouldn't put any money on seeing IJ in August, and would be hard pressed to bet anything on 2002.

Regards,

Dan

11. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Good Burger !!!

12. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

SNF I reckon.

N

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have to concur with Brian...
    coming in August 2002...
    GOOD BURGER: 8 DISC ULTRA SPECIAL EDITION
    (with FREE included SPECIAL SAUCE [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    (that or Indiana Jones [​IMG] )

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree with Dan about Indy. With previous blockbuster movies, we heard "credible" leaks for movies which would be coming out 9-12 mos. or so down the road. We haven't heard anything like this with Indy.
    Furthermore, I speculate they will release these closer to when Indy 4 gets the theatrical release because they will want to market and promote Indiana Jones again to awaken the public and some of the younger crowd who isn't too familar with Indy. I mean what better way to promote Indy 4 than releasing the DVDs (and possibly first re-releasing them theatrically) 12-18 mos. before it hits the theaters?
    So, to answer the question of Paramount's big August release, I would have to say Saturday Night Fever.
    And for August 2003 I will say Grease. [​IMG]

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

If it's Saturday Night Fever, then it's much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned. I have no interest in that title. Now Indiana Jones on the other hand... [​IMG]

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I received a list that contains the Paramount

release schedule through year's end.

I cannot divulge its contents.

I can say that INDIANA JONES is not on that list.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the title

is totally out for this year, but it is my guess

that it will be 2003 before we see Indiana Jones

on DVD.

17. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Let it be Indiana! PLEASE!

18. Gary_O

Gary_O Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    Since you have their release schedule can you at least confirm as to whether or not there is a big Paramount title scheduled for release on August 27???
    Or any other clues you can give us are appreciated [​IMG]
    Thanks

19. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Well, I think Ron's post pretty much says it all. Thanks Ron. In fact, I would venture to add that IF we get Indiana Jones in 2003, it will most likely only be one of the three films, most likely Raiders. Looks like Indiana Jones' greatest adventure is going to be getting a DVD release...

Regards,

Dan

20. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Martin Blythe himself has said, on this forum, we will not see INDY in 2002.