anyone care to comment on the speakerpage kits?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I was considering trying to build one of their center channels
    http://www.speakerpage.com/k05c22.htm
    and a pair of their towers
    http://www.speakerpage.com/K08T21.htm
    for the mains and center of my HT.
    has anyone built these care to comment? since the drivers are different brands am I going to run into blending problems?
    anyone with a woodshop interested in cutting the pieces for me and shipping them to me flat? [​IMG] :b

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I might also consider swapping out the towers for bookshelves too
    http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B41.htm
    as I have a subwoofer I guess there's little advantage to a full tower speaker.. but I'm certainly open to input [​IMG]

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Those look pretty good to me. They offer to supply a baffel for a nominal cost which avoids the hardest part- cutting the driver holes and recess rebates. Unless you like this kind of work, buy the baffel from them. You might also look at similar kits from ACI, adire and madisond to name a few. Lots of vendors to choose from.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've been lookin around off and on for quite awhile..
    the ACI emeralds come very highly reccomended but they're just so much more expensive [​IMG]
    I'd really like to build some decent mains and a center for 400-500$
    cabinets included are a plus, since I don't have access to a woodshop it's another hurdle to jump

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Philip,
    head on over to http://gr-research.com/
    Danny designed all these kits and they are a real bargain. I just ordered the AV1's for rears and MB1's for fronts and center(Dennis Murphy's design). They are the exact same thing except with a different crossover. I will share my opinion on them when I get finished breaking them in and such.
    These are just in your budget but will produce a sound comparable to speakers of much greater cost.
    BTW, several people who have experience with the MB1 and ACI emerald prefer the MB1.
    Pjay over at the madisound group is one of them and he also says the MB1's are 95% of the $1500 sapphires.
    Here is his site: go to "my projects" and click on P3-MB1/El Cheapo. BTW, Pjay used the older el cheapo drivers which were replaced by the GR 130 and GR T1 which are the better drivers made originally by Peerless and should produce an overall speaker which should rival the sapphires 100%.
    http://members.aol.com/pjay99site/speakerhome.htm
    GR also has a Paradox series which uses a Focal Tweeter which is said to be best with tube amps.
    Look into it, these could be the new "Best Value Kit" around. I'll be sure to post my opinion in several weeks regarding the MB1 and AV1 kits.
    Good Luck!

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

thanks for the links!

I've been kicking this around so long I've changed my mind probably 10 times about what I'm going to build :b

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Phillip,

Yes, the biggest drawback to kits is building the cabinets. The Emeralds are excellent speakers even though they are a bit more expensive. I know I love mine. As a matter of fact, I just cut enough MDF to build 5 more!

But they are not the end all, be all of speakers. I'd love to be able to hear Jeff's GR speakers to compare. I imagine one way that they may be better than the Emeralds is in bass response. Don't the GR's use 6.5" drivers?

Keep us posted on your decision!

Brian

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the emeralds look nice... man it's amazing how fast this crap adds up [​IMG] before you know it you're spending real money.
    I don't mind the lack of bass response with a smaller woofer, as long as it'll blend in with my sub it's OK in my book.
    for rear surrounds I've got a pair of the parts express daytons in kit form, and really enjoy them for music, though for some reason they seem a little harsh for tv and theatre use, I can't explain it.. but for music I like them quite a bit. Otherwise I'd just build another pair of them and a matching center.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

another option, how about the audax MTM's?
    http://www.audax.com/doit/us_ht06.shtml
    another thread listed a build price of $250 that's VERY attractive, plus they have a matching center channel design..

10. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Philip:
    From personal experience, I highly recommend them. I have built several of their designs: budget two-way monitors, 5 of their K05B41 monitor, two of their towers and their center channel. For the center channel, I bought their baffle. They have, IMO, the absolute best sound/value kits on the market. Build a pair of the K05B41 and you'll see (hear) what I mean. They are very nice guys, helpful, not egotistical and very fair. We need more like 'em. Here's some low res pics of my towers (I veneered them in rosewood) and my center channel:
    http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/My_page.html

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brian,

The GR's use a 5 1/4" driver just like the Emeralds. Its a treated paper cone and has rubber surrounds. They also have a 6.5" driver but it is not used in the AV1 kits. It does have an F3 @ 55Hz so it's strong enough in the low end especially if you are useing a sub anyway.

I can't wait to get them up and running.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

Oh, OK so both use 5.25" treated paper cone drivers with rubber surrounds. The main difference is the F3 of the Emerald is around 65Hz. I'd say the Emerald has suitable lowend when using a sub as well. I'm interested in your impressions when you get them. Who'd you get to build the cabinets for you?

Brian

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer