Anyone care to comment on how their PS1 games look on PS2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris T. Kennedy, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone. How's it going?
    Well - Several things.
    1: You can mess with settings on the PS2 to increase the read speed on the CD drive as well as do something "cool" to enhance the graphics. I believe it is called texture smoothing, but I don't have the exact term memorized. (Pathetic for someone who does development in OpenGL. ) [​IMG]
    2: Some games have areas that "suffer" from this enhancement. Like in FF8 - when you enter a battle and it does the screen wipe, you can see vertical lines that are distrubing the flow of the wipe. (hmm...hard to explain, but those who have seen it probably know what is up.) However I believe the battle itself looks better.
    Anyway! That wasn't my main topic for this thread. What games have you played and like with PS2 enhancements? Which do you not like? Which do you not notice any difference whatsoever on? AND...(slightly off topic) are there any new versions of the PS1 driver software for the PS2 that adds more options for tweaking PS1 graphics?
    Okay - let 'em rip,
    Chris

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I noticed that FF9 is better looking, but Chrono Cross looks almost exactly the same.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

The games I've noticed that show the best improvement are Vagrant Story and Xenogears. These two really look great with the texture smoothing. Medievil is another winner!

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Some PSX games (Castlevania: SOTN comes to mind) will refuse to load if you turn on either 'quick loading' or 'texture smoothing' options. Other games will refuse to load if you turn on any combination of the two. 'Texture smoothing,' when it works, does slightly improve the smoothness, but isn't an improvement on the level of, let's say, BLEEM for DC. When it works, some of the blockiness in color gradation is smoothed over and made to look more 'uniform,' but aside from that, these games look exactly as they should -- like PSX games.

Joseph

ps. I have the latest drivers for the PS2 and there are no additional graphics tweaking options to my knowledge.

5. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine ran Vagrant Story on my PS2 and it did look pretty good.

Also - Joseph...where do you obtain your driver upgrades?

Thanks,

Chris

6. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

driver upgrade? buy the sony remote control. you will get the 2.0 driver. or 2.1? i forgot.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer