What's new

Anyone care if baseball players strike? (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
People complain about whiney, crybaby players who don't love the game, but I don't see that. Certainly, there may be more showmanship in the game today, but players and coaches are often at the ballpark before noon for a seven o'clock game, working out, taking practice, watching tape. Even assuming they don't stay for extra practice after the game, that's at least ten hours a day, seven days a week, for seven to nine months of the year, not including the time spent traveling.
[sarcasm]Oh boo hoo fo the players[/sarcasm off] if they get tired of that they should quit,after all the vast majority can aford to play ONE season then quit and live like kings the rest of their lives.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No offense Jason but you're nuts to side with ANYONE but the fans on this
What does "siding with the fans" mean, precisely?

Ultimately, neither the players' nor the team owners' position is particularly pro-fan or anti-fan. However, the players' position is built on lies or a desire to make more money without making more effort.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
What makes you think that receiving a bigger revenue sharing check will inspire them to make an effort when their history says otherwise?
My history goes back before 1994.

The Royals were owner-less for the majority of the 90's and just got David Glass two years ago. Since then he has more than doubled their payroll to about 50 million dollars, so he has proven he is willing to spend, even if he is incompetent with his decisions. Just a little tired of the Royals getting kicked like Montreal when they actually have a very rich history and tradition of winning.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The phrase "bargaining in good faith" always amuses me.

Who decides what is good faith? Suppose you had a contract dating back seven years that was expiring now and up for renewal/renegotiation. During the seven years of the contract many things changed in the world, both economically and politically. The contract had clearly become lopsided in favor of one side.

During the negotiations of the new contract, the side that was on the "good" end of the prior contract decided to simply ask for the status quo, or even make a few minor concessions to appear fair. Meanwhile, the "losing" side, desperate to survive, asked for what many consider to be major concessions.

In a case like this, I think it's easy to point to the owners and say they are not bargaining in good faith because they are asking for "more" than the players. But I think the past several contracts have put them so far behind the eight ball that it will take major changes to make things right. (Having said that, I think it's imperative that the owners open up their books to prove once and for all the dire financial straits they claim to be in.)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I propose MLB be restructured completely. Eliminate about 10 teams and a hundred or so games. Eighty-six the designated hitter rule and wildcard race. A salary cap of $350k/yr should be placed and if the current players quit, get new players. (In my opinion, I do not believe any athlete is worth even $350k/yr, but I'm feeling generous at the moment.) I have lost my faith in MLB (and I was once a die-hard A's fan...) managment as well as the overpaid, self-idolized, reality-disassociated persons we call players. Hell, fire them all and start over fresh with kids who play because they love the sport, not because they can make an exuberant sum of money for being no better than the average AAA high school player. As for the Sammy Sosas and the Barry Bonds of the profession, axe them too. Players like that are too hung up on themselves. A-Rod - here's a guy making more money in one season than most Americans make in their lifetime and he's bitching because it's not enough. Show him the door.
Baseball was once a sport played for fun, not profitable greed. I have no respect or remorse for a player who has it all and still wants more, or the kid who makes his first $200k and says he's going to have to file for bankruptcy because he's not making enough money to afford his new $75k Hummer, 2.6 million dollar 36 bedroom home in LA and support his cocaine habit. There was a time long, long ago when I would have paid to play in the MLB. Now you can't pay me to even watch the MLB.
Off with their bobbin'-head dolls and make the sport fun again.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps if the players have to cave into some of the owners demans, bring in the aluminum bats and put in some offensive bonus clauses. :D (Of course, the pitchers will be ducking for cover on every pitch).

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I wish they'd move up the date. I'd rather watch preseason football than baseball anymore.

Blu

Screenwriter
WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!
Bring on the NFL!!!!!
I'm happy NASCAR races at the same time that the baseball whiners PLAY A GAME for billions of dollars!!!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
After they killed the World Series a few years ago I could care less. I actually would love to see a lot of teams go out of business. There are too many teams & it dilutes the talent level. Getting rid of a number of teams would get rid of a lot of players who have no business being at the Major League level. If Baseball is to survive they need to adopt the NFL model for salary caps & revenue sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks