What's new

Anyone buying the new iPads about to be introduced? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I will buy every refresh of the iPad Pro. And sell off the previous generation. It’s the best money I spend on tech each year.

I don’t think these renders are accurate tho!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m happy with my iPad 6. It’s great for Netflixing on planes and general web use. I’ll be most tempted to upgrade when the iPad has FaceID and I’ve bought an iPhone with FaceID — so next year maybe.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Main reason for me to upgrade - if they go up to 1TB of storage - my 500GB iPad Pro is jammed with photos.

My main fear of the new edge to edge display: when reading I don't want to touch the display, so it is nice to have the edges.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would too. But maybe Ted wants it all local rather than paying $10/mo for 1TB iCloud storage? Don't know. Curious why he wants or needs to carry his entire photo library on his iPad at all times.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Anytime there is a new iPad Pro, I’ll upgrade. Each version offers big improvements. Last year’s processor upgrade and screen refresh speed increase made sketching on the iPad Pro with Apple Pencil even better as the lag is now imperceptible.

And Apple Insider today announced that Adobe will be releasing a “real” Photoshop early next year for the iPad Pro. That’s really amazing news as it’s another app that will add another use for the iPad Pro professionals. I’m really interested in trying it out as a desktop photoshop user. AI says the user interface will be revised for the iPad. This news could confirm that new iPads are coming for sure as I’m sure Adobe worked closely with Apple to optimize Photoshop for the iPad Pro. This is exciting news!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can understand someone who would prefer to have their entire photo library on their device. I’ve been experimenting with cloud storage. It’s nice I can have photos synch up on other iPads. That can be convenient. And it helps with shared albums. But if you have confidential or work images that cannot be at risk, then I can see the desire to keep them safe from accidental sharing.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Of course the 180 risk is that your iPad is stolen or destroyed and you have no backups of all those photos. You'd be royally screwed then. With the Cloud, at least you have full access to them and can do what you need to with them.

I sure wouldn't want that much data sitting solely on an iPad (or other device) without some form of backup.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I back-up to my Mac. I don’t back-up to the cloud. And then I back-up the Mac. There’s still risk my hard drive will die. I’ll admit that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Call me irresponsible. :). Quoting Gene Hackman in Superman.

I prefer to back-up locally. Maybe it’s not a good idea.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The next purchase after a new iPad will be a new release of the Logitech Slim Keyboard for it. Since the new iPad is supposed to have a thinner design with the connectors on the back instead of the bottom, the current Slim Keyboard is not compatible.

You don't use an online backup service like BackBlaze?

Dave, how is BackBlaze? It's pretty cheap at $50 for a year of unlimited backup. However, how is the quality of the service?

Do they offer backup for mobile devices as well? At first glance I did not see that option

PS: It does look like this will work for multiple devices, but can you back up multiple devices for the unlimited $50n per year plan?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
BackBlaze is good. It’s long been highly recommended for Mac users, but also supports Windows. I’ve used it for some years on my two home Macs. It runs invisibly in the background. The installation requires user intervention on Mojave due to Apple’s latest security revisions; hopefully Backblaze will have a revised installer soon.

It also has both an account password, and an optional encryption password to protect your data.

The pricing I believe is per computer, not per household. I don’t know the rules for attached drives or multi-terabyte RAIDs. I’m a normal personal with normal amounts of data of my desktop computers. :)

There is, of course, no backup system for iOS devices since iOS has never allowed that sort of system-level utility. Though if your iOS device backs up to your desktop, then it will be backed up to BackBlaze indirectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks