Anyone buy used DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian Dobbs, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    I just bought a used copy of Star Wars: Episode 1 for 16 bucks from a really, really small Mom and Pop store. It was against my better judgement, but I thought I could save a few dollars seeing how Best Buy sells it for a rip off price of 23 bucks.

Alas, got about 40% the way through and the disc starts skipping, pausing, skipping, etc.

(Sigh)

Now I gotta go back to this small store and return it. It sucks because there's no parking anywhere and the receipt is just some piece of paper they wrote the purchase info down on.

This ever happen to anyone else? If so, what did you do?

**********UPDATE************

I went back to the mom and pop store to return the DVD, and they asked me if I wanted my money back right off the bat. WOW. I said yes. I got my money back no questions asked.

I then went to Best Buy and tried to exchange a disc I bought there because it was defective. BTW, the disc was Bound by the Wachowski Brothers. Midway through the movie the audio commentary shuts off for about 5 minutes or so. There were no copies to exchange the disc for, so they too just gave me my money back no questions asked.

I ended up buying Star Wars: Episode 1, new at Best Buy. I want no more problems.

2. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I never buy used dvds. discs have enough problems as it is.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    About 1/5 of my 300+ collection has been purchased used. Its not much of a mystery to it. Examine the disc for scratches of smudges. If there are any, dont buy it. If you get it home, watch it right away. If there are problems, return it.

Are you serious? I like saving money too, and I have found many great bargains, but I hardley consider this a ripoff. I never mind paying for quality and content, and this disc has both. $30 for a no-extras/single disc is a ripoff. $23 for a loaded 2 disc Special Edition? More than fair.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Well Brian, I got Episode I for $10 brand new the week it was released. It pays to check the release week deals on big titles like that one.

But, to answer your question, I have bought a lot of used discs over the last year. Probably more than I have bought new. For one thing, I don't consider $16 for a used copy of anything much of a deal. What I do is wait for the Blockbuster sales, which come along about every 2 to 3 months and then peruse the selection several times. I often get away with some steals during their buy 2 get 1 free sale. I have gotten things like The Royal Tenenbaums CC, Spiderman, Sexy Beast, and a bunch of others for just over $7.00 with tax.

So far I have only had one actual defective disc, but many of them need cleaning. How I clean the discs themselves is with a very soft cotton cloth that is intended for buffing cars and rubbing alcohol. I bought a package of the cloths and washed and tumble dried them a few times to get them good and soft. I saturate a section with alcohol and gently rub the disc from center to edge. Then I take a dry part of the cloth and dry off the excess. I also do that with pretty much any disc I rent because I don't want the movie interrupted with skips.

5. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I'll buy a used disk if it's in good condition, and it's priced right.

Digital Eyes used disk I have never had a problem with.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Brought a ton of used DVDs here at the forum (software sales section), great stuff and never a problem.

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I have many used dvd's. I sometimes prefer them used. You don't have to go through all of that damned packaging[​IMG] The way I see it long as it plays I could care less if it's new or used.

The place here I buy used dvd's from has a awesome deal. Buy two for $25. And there usually new releases. I guess some pirates out there are burning them then sell them to the store I guess. But if a movie comes out on Tues. they'll have it in 5 to 6 days later.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I will buy Used... but it's generally a crapshoot. I try to buy from well-rated eBay or Half.com sellers, and I regularly peruse the racks at used CD stores. I'm with LaMarcus, if it plays, I don't mind. When I hit 200 DVDs, I realized how expensive this hobby could get.

9. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I buy used off Amazon all the time, never had a problem.

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Only problem I had buying used was that one Amazon seller sent me a case that had the insert torn (missing a big chunck off the bottom and side) which ticked me off bcs it wasn't mentioned in the description.

Other than that, used on amazon has been cool.

11. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

There is a used DVD/CD store in my area that I frequent. I probably buy more used than new now...and at 6-10 bucks a movie...my collection grows more now than ever. I've never gotten a bad disk, but you can check it before you buy it.

Jonathon

12. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

23 bucks for Episode 2 is a ripoff when it was released as johnrice said for about 10 bucks at many places. The episode 2 dvd was 6.99 at the Wal-Mart in my area and it is now 22.99 at my Best Buy.

Buying used can be a real hassle. Make sure to keep up to date on new releases and get in and buy them quick.

13. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I buy plenty of used at my local Hastings. No quality problems yet.

14. Ronnie Schildha

I have probably bought from 100 to 150 used DVD'S. I won't buy rental (Blockbuster, Hollywood, ect.) I try to restrict purchases to a select group of pawn shops in my area who will take returns. Try all three Sopranos for 30.00 each, Criterion copy of Armegaddon for 10.00. Have not been burnt yet.

15. Mike Berkowitz

Mike Berkowitz Auditioning

Hey,

Each Soprano's season for $30 each - wow!

16. Ronnie Schildha

2 and 3 still had shrink wrap. I hpoe they weren't stolen.

17. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I've purchased a few used discs, mainly from Blockbuster during their insane sales. Got mulholland drive for $12 and the Pledge for $7. Mulholland Drive was in pristine condition. The disc didn't even look like it'd been played once. The Pledge is another story. Noticeable marks, and the center of the disc looks to have a slight crack in it. It seems to play allright but it's still a bit of a bummer. Oh well for 7 bucks I guess you get what you pay for.

18. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

I also buy at Hastings, and have had very few problems. Thay always take the disc out at the register and let you inspect it. We usually wait for there 2 for $15 sales that they have very often, and it is usually on fairly recent releases that they got a lot of rental copies and are cut many back. In other words, I can usually get the big hits for $7.50 about six weeks after release. I have a relatively small collection, (probably about 120 or so) but probably almost have of those were bought used.

19. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I've purchased used from Blockbusters, Hollywood Video and a little place in my area called Cash Converters. I always look at the discs before I actually buy them, and every one of them play perfectly.

20. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I've bought used from places like Blockbuster, Hollywood, etc. (btw, Hollywood video is a great place to pick up Warner DVDs...they come in Keepcases!) Anyways, out of all of them, I've only had a problem with one. Although I usually spend ten minutes wiping off all the fingerprints off the discs.