Anyone buy the Diana Krall *Live in Paris* CD at Target? Bonus track(s)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 28, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I read a blurb on another message board stating that the Diana Krall Live in Paris CDs being sold at Target stores have an extra track or tracks that are not available elsewhere. Is this true? If so, what track or tracks are included on the Target version? I bought my copy at Circuit City and am wondering if it is worth it to buy the Target version now. I assume the answer is yes if there are any extra tracks. Was anything left off the Target version? Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Seldom is anything left off, but Target is beginning to offer quite a few CDs that have bonus tracks on them. They did this with Diana Krall's most recent studio album (2 bonus songs). It's like an incentive to get people to buy the albums from Target stores and to set them apart from the rest of the retailers.

But I have no idea if there's a bonus cut on the Live in Paris CD...yet.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patrick, thanks. Are you saying that the Target of version The Look of Love has bonus tracks? I'll have to check that out, as I got my copy from BMG.

I know that some copiess of When I look in your eyes have 12 tracks, while others have 13 tracks. The 13-track version is not specific to Target. I bought my 13-track copy at Tower Records.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Target version of "The Look of Love" did have 2 quick tracks:

Charmed Life
    The Man With The Bag

But once that initial run of CDs (with the bonus tracks) is sold through Target, I think Target just get the normal version when it re-stocks the title.

Also, when "The Look of Love" hit the stores earlier in the year, Borders offered a free sampler Diana Krall CD which had:

I Should Care (not on the album)
    The Look of Love
    Cry Me a River
    Interview with Diana Krall

Good luck finding that sampler (I do have it, and it's really only for completists).

I think Target offered bonus tracks for Charlotte Church's album that was released earlier this year as well.

And they did the same with Natalie Imbruglia's latest CD as well.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

As I was looking through the Christmas music bin at Target yesterday for after-Christmas sales, I saw that Target had a special one-track bonus disc in the Streisand Christmas CD. That bonus track was "God Bless America".
    Streisand [​IMG]
    Krall [​IMG]
    I would hate to think I have missed out on any Krall studio tracks.
    Patrick: Is the "Man With The Bag" track on the Target "Look of Love" CD a Christmas song?

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yup! It's a Santa song.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patrick, thanks for the added information. I am not eager to re-buy the Krall CDs for a couple extra tracks, but I will look for them out of curiosity the next time I am at a Target store.

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith, I visited your site the other day and I was wondering about "Target CDs". I guess you're talking about "retailer-specific" CDs, right?

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny asked:

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, one more thing. A West German target CD of Madonna's debut album recently sold on eBay for $58. I have the Japanese target CD, but I don't know if it would sell for as much as the West German CD. Secondly, not all target CDs sell for this much on eBay. I have seen a few others sell for around $10.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well...didn't this get confusing real fast!?!?!? [​IMG]
    I had to go back and re-read the thread to see where I got lost along the way.
    My question still stands: does anyone think that Target (with a capital "T") wouls still have copies of their pressing of Look of Love with the bonus tracks? Or, would they have all sold through by now?
    Must....have....Krall version....Man With The Bag!

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,

Thanks for clearing that up. I read something about that in a CD/Laserdisc collectors guide at Barnes and Noble months ago, but the book only mentioned something about certain color (blue?) design on the disc. I actually think I've seen one of those Madonna CDs in a store once and they were asking big $$ for it.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, no problem. All sorts of colors were used on the target CDs. The West German target CD of Madonna's debut album is yellow with black text. The Japanese version, which I have, is red with silver text. These discs look very cool. The Emerson, Lake & Palmer Pictures at an Exhibition West German target CD I have is on the Cotillion label (part of WEA) and is lavender with black text.

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Let the record reflect: I made a special trip to my lone local Target tonight and there were no copies of Look of Love with the bonus tracks. I figured they all would have been long gone. In fact, all their copies had stickers exclaiming "GRAMMY WINNER!", so they obviously were newer versions.

So......the hunt for those bonus track(s) is on!

In an interesting side-note, at Target I stumbled upon a copy of Amy Grant's most recent Christmas CD -- A Christmas To Remember and a sticker on the front said it had an exclusive bonus track of "Merry Christmas Darling". Even though I already owned the CD (w/o the bonus track) I purchased it--since it was half-price! $6.49! I LOVE Amy Grant and "Merry CHristmas Darling" is one of my favorite pop Christmas songs that hasn't been recorded by too many people. (Although Rockapella did a version on their new Christmas CD this year--but I digress!) Anyway, the 11-track Grant CD DID have a 12th track, but here's the odd thing. The 12th track was a silent :04 track. The bonus song was tacked onto the end of the 11th track. Is that the normal way these things are done?