Anyone buy the BetterCables Wire for their SVS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianAM, Apr 23, 2002.

1. BrianAM

BrianAM Auditioning

Just curious as to whether anyone with "CS Series" SVS subs has purchased the BetterCables speaker wire available on the SVS site specifically for the subs?

If so, any difference over what you were using? They look like nice cables, so I may buy a pair for my 20/39 CS+'s - which, by the way, are just incredible.

Thanks for any input.

Regards.

2. Trent C

Trent C Agent

Brian,

I picked up one of the 5 meter lengths when I ordered my CS+. I have never tried any other cable with the sub to be honest. The cable appears to be well built, and it was a breeze to put on. It does appear to be a well built speaker cable.

Trent

3. SanfordL

SanfordL Stunt Coordinator

Brian, I have a PCi, so it's not the same cable I don't think, but mine sounds great. I haven't tried it with another cable as the sub placement is now much farther from my amp than it was in the past. One thing to note though, if you search on the Tweak page, there is a guy named Chu that will tell you wire is wire is wire. I do agree with him to some extent, but the Better Cables look good (high WAF), are super easy to pull (ours is running in our crawl space to avoid toddler chew toy action), and sound excellent though I can't be sure if that is a function of the sub, or the cable. I believe it to be the sub, but that's just me. Try them both and tell us all what you think.

4. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Brian, one thing you may want to take into account is that, to my knowledge, SVS has never made a claim that any of the Better Cables (speaker wires or interconnects) that they sell have any sort of sonic advantage. They do talk about the build quality, the appearance and the fact that they're made in the US, but they seem to make no claims regarding sound quality.

If I were you, I would start out with some decent 12 gauge from Home Depot or partsexpress.com. Then, if you haven't done so already, get a CD with test tones and measure your in-room frequency response to make sure that it's flat (most people find that their room isn't). Then take the money you might otherwise spend on a cable upgrade to get an equalizer to flatten out your response (or, as some recommend, to dial in a "house curve"). Even if there would be some sonic improvement to be gained from a cable upgrade, I suspect that it would be small compared to flattening out the FR in your room.