Anyone Buy From Harman Audio Outlet Stores?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_VI, Mar 30, 2002.

1. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

I cancelled my order for the AVR-520 from eCost.com because of some seriously bad things I read about the site. Now I'm on the prowl again for a good place to buy an H/K AVR-520. The best price I've seen is $597 for a remanufactured unit at Harman Audio, the official outlet stores for Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, etc... I spoke with a guy at the store and he claimed that most of the "remanufactured" receivers they sell are merely customer or store returns, many of them for damaged boxes. All units are fully tested and come with full mfr warranty.

So, does anyone have any experience with these outlets?

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I have not had any experience with the Harman direct store, but I did get a factory sealed 520 from J & R for around $650 plus shipping (they are an authorized dealer). I do not know if this is the price range you were looking for, but I would guess that if it coming from Harman direct, it will have to pass a few tests before being sold.

3. BruceN

BruceN Auditioning

I am also considering one of these units (or should I save a few bucks and go with the new Onkyo 600 coming out?). OneCall has them new for approximately $639 plus shipping and J&R has them for $649 plus shipping. It would be worth the extra money rather than getting a refurb. You must call them and ask what the price is. These prices are quite a bit lower than their internet listed prices. Keep in mind that OneCall is an authorized HK internet dealer so you get the full two year HK warranty. At J&R you get a one year warranty.

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

The 520 looks great and is built like a tank. But I agree on getting a new one. Call JR/ONECALL/6THAVE/OADES and get a price match on your ecost quote. I don't remember anyone complaining about ecost at this forum?????????????

The 520 was in my sites, but I jumped on the 3802 because of a great dealer price from 6th AVE. On hindsite, I really don't need 7 amps or 6 amps. 97% of my DVD's are 5.1. So it's up to you, what do you want? If you want 6.1 discrete, don't get a 5 amp rcvr(unless you are into hooking up an extra amp to the 520).

898/5es/520/3802 will make you happy. $1075/$750/$630/$770

5. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Anything from these Outlet Stores that are refurb or "B" stock will be designated as such. Everything else can be considered new. The new stuff can be overstock, closeouts, open box, and "as new". As new would be an item that was sold and left the store and for some reason was returned unopened. "open Box" could be a store demo or a customer return. The policy of most or all manufactures is once an item is sold "new", it can never be sold again as "new". When purchasing from an outlet, ask the salesperson about the item you are interested in, there's no reason why he or she can't tell you which catagory the item fits into.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The good news about buying from Harman is that when the 520 leaves the factory it gets tested, and when it leaves the second time it gets tested and updated.

Any bugs would be found and fixed.

With a new unit, it's not as thuroughly tested.

- And you get a warranty anyway.

What's to worry about?

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

8. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I was IN the Harman outlet store on Thursday up in Ventura. Lots of unopened boxes. Lots of products that appeared to be in mint condition.

I don't think you'd have anything to worry about purchasing from Harman Direct.

9. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Wow, thanks for all the feedback folks. I would like to have gotten a new unit from some other supplier, but no one had any stock, and all were quoting 2-4 weeks leadtime.

Wayne - The negative comments I read about eCost.com were on the Pricegrabber.com website. They have a ranking/rating service for each supplier listed. About half of the comments for eCost were negative, some of them in the extreme. The most negative comments revolved around customer service and on-time shipping. The main sentiment seemed to be that if eCost did not have the unit in stock (whatever it is you're ordering), it sometimes took a LOOOONG time to get it. And even if the unit was in stock and a customer ordered via Fedex, eCost would ship via UPS but CHARGE for Fedex. I didn't want to deal with the potential hassle.

10. John Waters

John Waters Auditioning

I've bought a couple refurbished Harmon Kardon items from the outlet in Oxnard. I bought a receiver there quite awhile ago (>5 years ago) and it still works great (no problems). I bought a CD recorder there last month, it didn't work, so I took it back and they gave me another one which so far has worked great.

--John