Anyone buy from dealers on yahoo? (Denon 3802)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon W, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Damon W

Damon W Extra

I am finally upgrading my Sony STRDA50ES and am thinking about parting with the ole Sony line this time around. They seem a little more consumed with "bells and whistles" than sound quality.

Anyways, my budget for a new receiver is around $1000. I am leaning toward the Denon 3802 as it seems like a great buy with all of the features that I'm looking for. I did a search on Yahoo and noticed that there are dealers listing it for $728! I was wondering if anyone has purchased from any of the listed dealers and your experiences. I know that these aren't authorized dealers, but coughing up another $500 just for a factory warranty seems a little crazy.

Thanks in advance!

-Damon

2. Alfred-L

Alfred-L Auditioning

click here
    i jus got my 3802 from here 2 days ago and i love it!

3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

I would beware. Many of the dealers on Yahoo! seem to share the same address in Brooklyn. While I haven't purchased from any of them, this is a trick used by some of the most notorious dealers in the mail order photo equipment business. You might get your equipment, or it might be "backordered" which means that you might get your equipment or you might not. Rest assured that your credit card will be charged right away whether they ship or not.

As far as after sales service goes? Forget it, you'll be in a world of hurt should you need warranty service. I could continue this rant by noting that many of the "cheap" dealers charge outrageous shipping charges, so the low price may not be so low after all is said and done.

Most of your friendly local dealers will give you at least a 10% discount just for asking and you'll have somebody to go to bat for you should you need service, etc. I recently bought a Denon AVR-4802 from a local dealer. The lowest price I could find on Yahoo! from a dealer I might trust was $1900 plus shipping. I asked for and got a 15% discount off the list price which resulted in a price of $2125. Yes, it was a bit more than the internet price, but I got peace of mind and a warranty which would not be a hassle to use should I need it.

4. David Cohn

David Cohn Extra

John, $225 difference on a $2k product is not worth dealing with an internet dealer. A higher end piece like that is not something that I would purchase online.
    However, I saved $281 on a $800 receiver by purchasing my Denon 2802 from www.reliableaudiovideo.com.
    Reliable is a five-star Yahoo dealer and I've bought some stuff from them before. They are a conduit for Uncle's Stereo in Brooklyn and I have always gotten great service (especially from Sarah).
    In a nutshell, go ahead and take the plunge if the equipment is not too expensive (subjective, I know). Search the forum for 'Denon' & 'warranty' to get the pros/cons regarding online dealers.

5. Jeff Gregory

Jeff Gregory Auditioning

I too was in the same boat. Came really close to ordering a Denon 3802 for $699US over the internet but after researching it, I decided not to. First problem was I live in Canada so shipping charges were crazy ($64US)and the exchange rate is terrible right now. Plus I would have had to pay 7% duty, 8% provincial sales tax and 7% goods and services tax at Canada Customs. All said and done it would have cost me $910US, thats $1458 Canadian! I ended up getting a better price at an authorized dealer.

The kicker is, I had a problem with my 3802 (hissing from the left surround channel) and returned it. The retailer quickly offered to replace it and I obliged (altough I'm still waiting cause Denon Canada is out of stock). If I had purchaed the unit over the net, assuming they would have even replaced it, I would have been on the hook for shipping it back and forth 3 times. Needless to say, even without the Canadian issues, I would purchase from an authorized dealer.

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Sony and Onkyo are carried by JR. They are an authorized dealer and will beat all prices plus usually free shipping.
    Denon is a problem I have not solved yet on fiding an authorized dealer that sells at a reasonable price. And sorry, but 200-300$$$$$ is alot of mony to save on a purchase. Most reliable dealers will pick up and reship free for dead on arrival units. If it works out of the box, it is probably a good unit.
    When I bought for the school system, I would run units 24 hours a day for 30 days. If it passed, it worked for years. If it didn't I would get it exchanged.
    Some dealers have a 14 day rule. That's probably ok! Put the unit on a 3000 joule surge protector and leave it on for 14 days.
    I am having the same issues as you guys. There are no local dealers, except CC that have a decent selection of rcvrs. CC sometimes sells at retail and claims it is discounted.
    Rexes has a limited selection as well as Sears.
    If I lived in a big city like NY then this would not be an issue. But most of us live in the outlying provences of the new Rome![​IMG]

7. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I picked up my 3802 from here www.lgdsuperstore.com about 4 months ago. Payed around $750 which was the cheapest at the time. Arrived in 5 days and has been performing great!

8. Scott VanAntwer

Scott VanAntwer Auditioning

Beware, I recently considered purchasing from some of those Yahoo dealers and the 2 cheapest ones had shipping charges of 155.00, for the 4802. Suddenly that great deal dosen't look so great. Check them out, call if you have to and you will get a feel over the phone if they are above board. Good luck

9. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I just tried to purchase a pair of Pioneer surrounds from some of the Yahoo dealers. The first two were out of stock and they sent me an email and told me such, and also said my card would not be billed. The third "Yahoo" dealer had the product and is shipping it to me. Obviously they must not be to unreliable or they wouldn't be in business. I have bought countless electronics gadgets on the internet. I haven't had one problem yet. I have however saved a LOT of money.