anyone build a sonosub based on WinISD recommendation? (if not - still look in here)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Dr, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

I am about to build a tempest based sonosub and was wondering about volume. From some other post I've seen a 175l figure.. winISD gives me 260liters as the "optimum" .. this sub is going to be primarily for HT but i still want it to be accurate and not boomy. The difference between 175 and 260 is quite dramatic of course so i was wondering if any of you have built subs based on winISD recommendations and what your results were

otherwise - what recommendations can any of you give me on deciding the design of the sub

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Have you downloaded the free LspCAD from Adire's website? That's the tool you should use to design with a Shiva.

3. Mike Dr

yes I've tried LspCAD also (and it's the Tempest, not the shiva that i'm using). I couldnt get any better answers from taht program either..

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I am also planning the same type of project using a tempest and sonotube enclosure but the .box files are only for cube style MDF enclosures and does not help as much with sonotube designs. I haven't used LspCAD yet and I had a hard time runing it. I will play with it more later.

Does Adire have a tube design plan for the tempest? What volume and tuning(port lenth and size, flaired?)is optimal?

6. Mike Dr

jeff - exactly .. that's my problem too .. they have box layouts.. not tubes.. i guess the volume is all that matters, but then things like resonances may come into play since the tube is fairly long... any suggestions?

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The .box files are opened using LspCAD and have nothing to do with the shape or construction. As long as the volume is the same, it really doesn't matter if you use a tube or a box. There is no "optimal", really, just use the volume from a design (chosen from the descriptions on the Adire site) and use a tube instead of building a box. The alignment doesn't "care" if it's in a tube or a box. Using a tube merely requires knowing how to find the volume for a cylinder, that's it, really.

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Jack,

So using the same volume, port size, polyfill as the suggested plans will provide the same performance, just in a tube instead? That's easy.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    So you are wondering about the accuracies of WinISD? What are the differences you got when you used LSPCad and WinISD?

10. Mike Dr

well, if i use optimize on both, i get different results if i set port frequency to the same thing.. or whichever frequency it optimizes with .. but both are usually between 200 and 300 liters... winisd is always a solid 260 whereas lspcad varies.. i imagine lspcad is more accurate but i have a very abnormal shaped room so i cant model it too well .. plus the amount of parameters is overwhelming

11. Mike Dr

it's not that.. it's that there are too many to choose from [​IMG]

12. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

"It also survived the dts version of The Haunting DVD (for my purposes) with peaks hitting 107dB from my seating position (and even then I needed to be listening at insane volumes, probably measuring a reference level of 80dB at the same position) from 10-11 feet away, I normally wouldn't even listen to DVDs at this level, but I was curious to push the sub a little harder than normal."

How does this compare with a SVS 20-39? This is from Pat's site. Also how does one measure this? I would like to do it with my SVS 20-39.

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

14. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Jack I have a Radio Shack SPL meter. Can you tell me how to use it to measure the db the sub is producing or can you send me to a site that would show me how? Do I need to turn off the other channels? Thanks!

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I've done that before just for fun (is there any other reason to do any of this? [​IMG] ). I just put the SPL meter 1 meter away from the sub sitting on the floor, set the range pretty high, and let 'er rip on some bassy scenes with my system calibrated to reference with Avia. You can also put the meter at your seat and do the same thing. The numbers won't be scientific, or useful for comparison's sake, as there's no accounting for distortion, etc. If you did it, say, and compared your result to Pat's 107dB, it would be essentially meaningless. Like I said, just for fun. [​IMG]

16. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I guess not. Thanks for the information. I just got this SVS sub and I really like it. I would like more bass. My room is 20x18x12. I was thinking of building a sub for my second one. I do not have enough money to get another SVS at this time. Of course I could wait and get a CS+. I do not know what to do. Of course I am still within my 45 days but this thing sounds nice and looks nice.