Anyone bought from ONECALL.COM, need responses on them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Dec 31, 2001.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

1st sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

OneCall.com has a deal of 10% off all receivers and free shipping which is pushing the harman kardon avr 120 into my price range ($360 shipped), but the deal ends tonight.

I need to know from those who have ordered from onecall.com, their thoughts on their service.

I might be able to price match them somewhere though, possibly 800.com - but I'll have to call to see if they match everything including the free shipping.

Thanks,

ELmO

2. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

3. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

Onecall is a good dealer. Just buy it outright and not do their interest free stuff.

Marc

4. Cliffk

Cliffk Agent

Elmo,

I'm a multiple repeat buyer of One Call and have had nothing but great experiences with them. Their sales staff is non-commisioned, but call and ask for Brian and tell him Cliff Kling sent you. He should give you some pretty good prices and sometimes can do better than what is posted on their website.

Good luck!

Cliff

5. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Onecall.com is a great company, great
    people, prices and selection. Go to
    www.audiosurvey.com and look up
    onecall's customer comments you will
    find hundreds of happy campers.

6. elMalloc

Thanks for the great replies, also I made a new thread for this accidently - wanted to make it a reply here instead:

If you want to suggest a different receiver, go ahead - but hurry I only have till tonight is over. =)

I need 3 optical inputs, 3 Svideo inputs, DPL2/DTS/DD5.1.

The harman kardon AVR 120 has this and is only $360 shipped, normally $400, and I hear HK is a good brand fot HT but people are telling me to go to Denon for more RMS power.

Though I keep hearing about high current output from HK making up for it only doing 40 RMS per speaker in surround sound..if anyone wants to comment on that, please do. (Note I have a small room though, I don't exactly need vulgar and loud sound, I'm in a 12X15 ft).

Thanks again!

ELmO

7. elMalloc

Ordered it...heh.

Thanks pals,

ELmO

8. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Elmo:
    Being new to this forum, the best advice I can give you is use the search feature first for the quickest answer to your questions...
    here is a past thread which discusses the same topic:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hlight=onecall
    Good Luck
    Ron

9. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

Onecall is awesome. been buying from them for 5 years and probably spent about 30k with them. Just ordered a NEW Toshiba SD9200 DVD player from them for $630 - They had open box specials for $630 but since they were out of stock on open box ones, he gave me a brand new one for that price. My local electronics store still sells it for $1500.

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

One Call typically has higher prices than J&R. ONECALL is also less likely to negotiate than J&R. If you live on the East Coast shipping from ONECALL will be more.

If you catch a particular item at ONECALL that is on clearance, that is a good buy. Otherwise, J&R will meet or beat ONECALL and has better shipping rates.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And just remember that you need to be sure of what you are ordering, the chances of getting your money back even after a 15% restock fee is very slim because they don't offer a money back guarentee.

Plus, I find it a little distasteful that they'll quote you the highest price and unless you go and find some other lower price, you are going to get the price shaft.

12. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

I'm not sure about the consistency of their pricing, but the times I've dealt with them the speed of delivery and service has been pretty good. I would recommend them.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

14. elMalloc

Well...The receiver arrived in it's own box, which was in another box (the packaging box).

I opened both boxes, and the receiver front 'screen' has a scratch halfway across it. Also there are smear marks all over it. I was very careful in removing it from the box. The way it was packaged, I also don't see how it could have gotten scratched on the way here.

Now, has anyone gotten something that looked used from onecall.com - but was sold as new?

Maybe I should take close pictures of this, and email them to onecall.com and ask to explain what they think these might be.

For you guys it may be nothing, but I paid $360 and I don't have that much cash as a college student (well OK I wasted it on a lot of other things...) - but I was expecting it to at least -look- new. Now I'm going to at least see if it's functioning.

-ELmO

15. elMalloc

Nice...this thing pumps out some SWEET bass. This thing rocks the hell out of my room, and even at low volumes the bass is great. Now to plug my XBOX in and see if wavy lines occur (my last concern, gave wavy lines on philips receiver).

Thanks,

ELmO

16. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

I have purchased from onecall for
    many, many years with never a problem.
    Call onecall and explain the problem,
    that scratch and smears may
    have originated at the manufacturer.
    Did the receivers box appear to have
    been opened.

17. elMalloc

Both boxes seemed just fine.

The front panel screen has many smear marks, and a scratch half way across it. Also, it seems to have some white marks as if something white scraped up against it (I tried rubbing them out a bit with my finger and didn't work, I'm going to try to Endust (TM) the screen soon, it won't remove the scratch but hopefully the smudges.

The receiver works great (all 3 optical inputs working, all game systems hooked up - DVD player sounding super) sound is indeed clearer than old receiver (especially noted through center channel) and I'm using crap speakers to boot. I haven't hooked up FM/AM radio yet though, going to do that soon. Overall I'm very happy with the receiver - I hope to get the remote programmed so I can press one button, turn on my game system and I'm ready to play.

EDIT- Now that I endusted it, I noticed small hairline scratches ALL OVER in different directions on the front panel (estimation 100 in total?...counting all the little small ones maybe even up to 1000..it looks bad - like it's really old or something). If I hold a flashlight up to it, it's hard to explain, but it looks like someone scratched all up and down it with pointy nails (pencil thin scratches). Some are deep enough my finger can feel them when I run my hand over. The thing is they aren't noticeable unless I hold a flashlight up to it, and the receiver itself works fine - I just wonder what the heck happened (somewhere).

Thanks,

ELmO