What's new

Anyone bought anything on Audiogon? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I may... be interested in a bigger power amp for my system. I was looking at adcom and I saw a few good deals on audiogon. I was just curious if anyone has bought anything from them? I would never buy anything on ebay.

The other thing is my shop (soundtrack) used to sell adcom. So when I go back into work on saturday Im going to do a little searching. Maybe I can find a good deal. I never thought of adcom stuff.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

I have. The first time though I got burned but since then all my purchases and sales have been spot on [knock on wood!]. My advice is that you communicate as much as possible with the potential seller or buyer and check their feedback if there are any. Good luck.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
My first transaction for a rotel amp on audiogon was :emoji_thumbsup:. Follow George's advice and you should be safe. I also prefer to make my payments with my credit card through paypal because my mastercard covers me for proper delivery, authenticity and fraud for the item. I got burned by an ebay seller recently and I got credited back immediately, no questions asked so you might want to check with your credit card.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I've bought a number of items on Audiogon without any problems. :) I have also shied away from a few items I was interested in because something about the seller or the ad didn't seem quite kosher. Maybe I've missed 1 o 2 real good deals because of that, but I also haven't been burned. Be smart, check feedback, exchange e-mails with the seller and trust your gut. And if it looks too good to be true...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I do exactly the same thing. You can also consider an escrow service, but Paypal has been working fine for me.

The first thing I check is the feedback. If they have plenty, or even just a few that are all positive, I will contact them. I usually don't go with sellers that have no feedback or any number of negative feedbacks (I read through and see what the negative say, sometimes the buyer is the real problem...).

I have bought a few things on there, and so far, not a single problem. Just ask a lot of questions, and if you don't get answers that make you feel comfortable with the seller, don't buy.

The old adage applies: if it looks too good to be true...

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Gents,

I for one appreciate the info regarding the payment via PayPal off a credit card. The benefits outweigh the 2.9% surcharge. Cheers!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most CCs that I have seen have this feature. Paypal is simply a common means by which to transfer the funds. The thing is, many of the sellers are private, and this means CC isn't always an option (and sometimes Paypal isn't either). You can assign any CC to Paypal, but it is the CC's terms that will determine the type of protection you have.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I just bought a mint Acurus A-150 amp off a guy on Audiogon without any feedback for only $280 shipped!, worked out great. Gave me his phone number to call him with any questions, I'd at least ask for that. I think feedback is important, but on a site like audiogon, the average person isn't throwing up gear every month to garner the kind of feedback you'd get on ebay so I wouldn't make it a priority.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One guy I bought from had no feedback and it went A-OK, but I still feel better if I see at least one positive comment under someone's belt. I wouldn't call it a hard and fast rule, just a comfort level. Getting a feel for the seller via contact is the most important thing, IMO.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
What about buyers that will only accept a money order? How do you protect yourself in these transactions?

Thanks,

John

Joe K.

Auditioning
I have made two purchases on Audiogon. Both went very well.

My second purchase was my SVS subwoofer 1 week ago. Got a great deal on a 6 month old sub with very little time on it. His wife wouldn't let him run it in their house.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I would make sure you have a copy of the M.O. a copy of the envelope you sent it in, and have it sent with signature confirmation. That at least gaurantees you can prove he received it, now whether he sends the item...........

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I bought some NHT Outdoor Ones off Audiogon last year, and couldn't be happier about the purchase. Of course, I bought them off of an authorized NHT dealer who was having an overstock sale. I got them for $160 over cost. Not bad at all. And do they put out some sound!!!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I have sold and made purchases through audiogon without a problem. I would suggest swapping phone numbers before the deal actually gets to the stage of sending money. A phone conversation helps reinforce the deal.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Jesse and all,

I am a frequent seller and buyer (xblue) on Agon and have been doing same for 4 years. Trust your senses and absolutley check feedback as the FIRST criteria. Also wait a few days as the buyers/lookers will dictate (via their senses and better sense) if an offer is good or not. If a little or no feedback seller offers something, and the "look hits" is proportionally high for the number of days listed then avoid it like a herpes kiss.

Look for history, feedback, a somewhat intelligent add (there are some real lulus out there, as you may have witnessed), spelling, comprehension of what the seller is describing, payment terms, links, pics... etc.

I look through adds 4 times a day and have seen some real stinker adds for stuff I was willing to buy but held off because it just didn't pass the smell test.

And email the seller too to probe. Believe me, do not be shy when you are looking to buy. Ask legitimate questions and look for honest answers. Just don't be a jerk and don't be a lowballer with no intention of buying. I have never been burned and have never burned anybody. I have actually LOST money to keep my "ALL" positive rating. A seller with +60 positives with narry a neutral is a sure bet. Most sellers protect their rating like their left nut, if you know what I mean.

BTW, I may be selling an EAD Signature or Ovation + pre/pro soon, interested ;*)

Use you senses and you will be fine. And don't drink and surf adds... not a good mix.

BTW, as a rule I am cautious of "money order" only myself. I would look for MAJOR positives from a guy who only wanted a money order and no other payment options. It's not a science, but you must be careful and know/sense that the seller is a reputation guy who will be on Audiogon for the ratings, not the onetime sale.

Best of Luck,

BOK

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Money orders can be traced. There will be a charge if a USPS Money Order was used.

Aside from that, I don't really know how. I'd ask for a phone number at least and call the person. Before the internet, I used to buy and sell through audio publications all the time. I never had a problem but, of course, the potential is always there. I've been thinking about abandoning PAYPAL myself lately, but it's so damn convenient ... For the seller, though, money orders are best because once cashed, they can't be reversed.

You might check with your homeowners/renters insurance agent and see if you're covered by a "theft by fraud" clause in case something goes wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks