Anyone bought a Count Dooku saber?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, May 7, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Tried following the instructions, I can't get at the battery compartment. Any ideas?

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Is that the one that looks EXACTLY like Silent Bob's Bong Saber from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    You have to take out the phillips head screw and then unscrew the handle counter-clockwise. It's a little tricky, but can be done.

4. Jeff Kleist

Yeah, I figured it out right after posting [​IMG]
    And yes, it looks just like the bong saber. Something tells me Mr. Smith had seen more than he let on while visiting said ranch [​IMG]

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I bought one, and after fiddling with the darned thing, decided to read the instructions....

I got it working fine....

It's a bit awkward to use with two hands as your hands aren't in usual sword positions....

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have a question. Is it true that there is a new saber toy that will shoot out with the press of a button instead of having to flick it like the traditional ones? I plan on visiting Toys R Us before Episode II opens so my friend and I can battle in the parking lot before the 12:01 AM show opening day and want to get a new saber.

7. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Damn Travis, that lightsaber would look mighty fine hung over my door [​IMG]

9. Jeff Kleist

Actually I've been dooing OK with the saber, once I got used to it. Like Darth Maul's, 2 handed use really requires perpetual motion. I don't like the 1-handed version
    That replica isn't very combat worthy [​IMG]
    I would love a replica that can comes with, and can carry the actual kind of metal tubes they use in filming. What's the use of a glowing blade if you can't hit anything with it? [​IMG]

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The Anakin FX saber is a steal at $129. I ordered one last weekend, I'll post impressions when I receive it. =)

-Dave

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I MUST get a new toy for this movie (I got the Qui-Gonn and Darth Maul sabers last time) and I was thinking of one of the "press button, it shoots out" ones, but if it really is small and sucks, then I'm going for a Dooku.

Can anyone give me measurements of the "button" sabers in comparison to the other sabers?

12. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Really, don't bother with the "basic" lightsaber assortment. I bought one for my three-year-old niece--an Obi-Wan-style handle with a purple blade, and she likes it, but the electronic sabers are much better. Don't have the basic saber to measure, but I'd say the basic saber blades are a full foot shorter than the electronic blades.

Only advantage to the basic assortment is that the blade goes all the way into the hilt, unlike the electronic version blades, which portrude six-to-eight inches out of the hilt. And, at least for now, the only way to get a purple blade is with a basic saber.

But yeah, if you can spring for it, get one of the "working" lightsabers with the electro-luminescent (sp) blades. I bought an ANH-style Obi-Wan Kenobi saber with the light-up blade about a year ago for around $270, and it is still one of my favorite pieces in my collection. Looks cool, and is durable, too. It has really spoiled me for the Hasbro sabers--they just suck now compared to it. The new Master Replicas working Episode II Anakin saber looks like a really-incredible deal--nice-looking hilt, non-removable EL blade, with sound-effects that respond to your movements, and it's only $130, which is a steal. They've got a working red Darth Vader saber coming out this fall which I will pick up to go along with my Ben Kenobi saber (if they handle the Anakin saber well, that is).

-mwb-

13. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Dave F,

I would love to see you review of the Master Replica's ligtsaber when you get it. I went to the Star Wars Celebration this weekend and came really close to buying one. Two bits of information that I received that made me hold off was that the blade is not removable and it is a tiny bit larger than the original prop to fit the electronics in.

I was able to hold both the Yoda and Obi-Wan in my hand and decided to save for one of those. The Yoda lighsaber was very plain but its Yoda's lighsaber. How can you not get it! Also, the Anakin FX is not limited edition. I wanted to buy something that would become a collectible.

Master Replica's shipped a Anakin FX to the show but was damaged during shipping so they did not have one for show. They did have a 10-15 second demo playing that demonstrated the lightsaber and it does look cool.