Anyone been watching Ken Burns Civil War?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Peter, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

What a fanatastic documentary. Makes me want to go out and get all the Ken Burns documentaries on DVD (wish they were more affordable). They are trying to sell an autographed version for $500 (well technically I guess it's a donation to public television).

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a hard time watching a whole episode, not because of the quality, but the death and pain just overloads me.
    When technology surpasses tactics.....it dont get any worse for the average Joe (and Bubba).
    I think it's good before a possible conflict; it takes the glory out of war and puts it terms of human life and blood

3. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

I watched the entire series in a marathon one weekend with a Civil War buff friend of mine. I agree that it is a fantastic documentary. I was mentally as well as physically exhausted by the end of the last episode. I would love to own the DVD set one day, but I'm going to be broke for awhile with all the great DVDs coming out at the end of the year. After watching this I realized how much I didn't know about what really happened. It is a heartbreaking glimpse into our history.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

i did buy this because i try to support PBS. I saw it when it originally aired and have been looking forward to seeing it on DVD. It's very emotionally taxing. The last five minutes of the first episode, when the soldier's letter to his wife is read.. brutal.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The letter to Sarah is poetry in the form of prose. The literacy of these men in those times astounds me. And that Ken Burns made this superb film/series at so young an age awes me. Getting the DVD set.

6. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Ken Burns was on Charlie Rose earlier this week. He carries a copy of that letter in his wallet wherever he goes and Charlie asked him to read some of it. It is a very powerful letter. PBS is going to be showing his documentaries on Monday nights at 9pm starting Sep 30. http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/
    Gregory

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

One of the best things ever on TV. I saw it the first time it was shown and will buy the DVD package.

Its so good that it was a minor, surprise hit in Australia.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I just got through watching the disc that has Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. I listened to Sam Waterston's voice three different times as he recited the Address. That speech still gets me choked up and brings me back to the time I read the speech at Lincoln's Memorial and the emotions I felt reading those words.

Crawdaddy

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It's a totally unfair comparison, but I couldn't help thinking that Sam Waterston is a much better orator than George W. Bush [​IMG]
    I don't know exactly how they figured it out, but the most interesting part of his reading is where the emphasis is in "of the people, by the people, and for the people". When kids recite it in grade school, it's on the "of", "by", and "for". But it really should be on "the people".
    And "the last full measure of devotion" is a great turn of phrase. The other speech (from his inaugural?) at the Memorial is quite good too.
    I got the DVD last week and watched the first three discs on the weekend before PBS reaired the episodes; will probably do the other two this weekend.
    //Ken