Anyone been to the Electric Factory in Philly?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I'm heading into Philadelphia next week to see a concert at the Electric Factory. I'm looking for info on what the place is like, best route to get there, parking tips.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I saw Gov't Mule there this past weekend. Kick ass show.

The venue itself is pretty cool. Bar is upstairs all around the right side of the room. Overpriced but that's to be expected. At least they had Hoegaarden. heh heh. Get there when the doors open and you should have no problem getting as close as you want to the stage.

The area around the venue sucks, to be blunt. Parking right next to the venue is $8 but it's probably worth it rather than finding another spot farther away for $6. Get there about an hour early if you can.

If you're coming from Allentown, gee, hmm.... If you end up taking 76, you go left at the split with 676 (thus staying on 676) and take the 8th street exit. Go straight at the light and then a left onto 7th after that. Regardless, Mapquest should be cool to get you there.

You're not going to see MMW are ya? I'm thinking of seeing Les Claypool's Frog Brigade in the beginning of November.

3. Patrick Larkin

Thanks for the info. Mapquest told me basically the same thing - down the Vine St Expy etc. Sometimes, the directions from those sites are less than accurate.

I'm going to see Wilco on Tuesday night.

How is the bar area? Can you see from up there?

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

If you sit at the main bar, you'll have to strain to see, but if you sit at the one that runs along the rail, you should be able to see fine. You'll see when you get there. Like I said, just get there a bit early if you can.
    Muhlenberg couldn't get Wilco to play the gymnasium this year? [​IMG]

5. Patrick Larkin

Wilco played Muhlenberg?

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

No, just my lame attempt at a joke. I graduated from there in 1998 and the concerts they got were usually pretty lousy.

7. Patrick Larkin

I would't be surprised. They get shows in there that no one knows about. They had Counting Crows there a year or two ago.
    Allentown used to have tons of concerts. Now we're kind of in the nether region between NYC and Philly. There are so many venues now.
    I've never been to the Electric Factory - I've been at the Trocadero, Mann, and the TLA and will be going to the Tower Theater for the first time next Friday to see Elvis Costello. Busy week. [​IMG]
    BTW, if you want to talk about a lame concert scene, try going to Penn State. I did see the Pixies up there tho.

8. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

Don't be cheap and park on the streets, or your car will get broken into. Everything else has been covered in the above responses. It's easy to find, don't sweat it.

9. Patrick Larkin

From what I gather, Electric Factory has their own parking area. It says on their website something like "Parking Gates open at 6 PM"