Anyone adopt a Greyhound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, May 20, 2002.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I have a 10 year old dalmatian, a lazy, quiet dalmatian. I was thinking about adopting a greyhound. Research is showing me that they have about the same temperament as my dalmatian, quiet, lazy, family and kid friendly. Greyhounds seem to be about the same size as my dal and I like dogs with short hair.
    Does anyone have one, or has adopted one?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i thought greyhounds had the opposite temperment...kind of hyper?

i always think about the greyhound situation in florida...where they're often euthanized (sp?) after they outlive their usefulness at the track. i saw an expose on nova or frontline where they were literally tossing dead animals into the back of a truck to be incinerated. sad...

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Ron - I don't have a greyhound, but a friend has two rescued dogs, and is active in the local greyhound rescue society.
    My understanding is that they are docile dogs, and pretty lazy. Just so long as they get out for a walk or two each day.
    I met the dogs once, and they seemed very friendly, though a bit jumpy and waggy, the way friendly dogs can be. [​IMG]
    If you need more info, I can email my friend, and ask her.

4. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I have friends that adopted a greyhound, they love him. They said that he is a bit lazy though, like you are expecting. They don't have kids yet, but said that he has a great temperment.

I say go check into it more and see if you can meet a few of them and decide.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a friend who adopted one of those retired racing greyhounds. A very good dog, not jumpy or hyper, actually rather mellow and well behaved. Having only been around this one dog, I can't say they are all like that, though. Lazy would be a pretty good description.

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Hey, ya gotta figure if they're really hyper, they'd probably still be racing... [​IMG]
    In all seriousness, though, I've been contemplating such a move myself. Have to figure out whether my current dog will accept a new roommate, though.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Hehe, lazy right up until you pull out the leash for a walk, then, all bets are off...[​IMG] Still well behaved, but always happy to go for a walk, check things out and mark some territory. Lazy does not mean lack of engergy.... This dog seems quite intelligent also, despite the large amount of loafing it does.

8. Andy Keller

Andy Keller Auditioning

I have adopted a Greyhond Ron and they are great Dogs. They tend to be very quiet and docile dogs. You will find they that have moments of energy then will go back to laying around. They are also very friendly and very good with children. Somethings to be aware of if you adopt one straight from the track is that they are not familar with many items around your house. They will likely not know what to do when they come to steps for the first time. One other thing to know is the tend to be sensative to certain anesthetics and tend to have bad teeth since they feed them raw meat at track alot. They usally require some kind of teeth cleaning every once and a while.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Found a great local adoption agency, fastfriends.com. It seems to be quite the process, but worth it.
    I'm going to fill out the on-line application, then they come out to inspect your home, then match the dogs personality to yours and off you go to interview the dogs. WOW!
    Could be a month or two process, but looks to be the exact type of dog I am looking for.
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

12. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Greyhounds are wonderful animals and make great companions. If I didn't already have 2 dogs, I would adopt one.

-Dean-

13. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I also wanted to add that I am happy to see people rescuing dogs. Greyhounds need to be rescued just as much as dogs from pounds and Humane Society's do. I would never buy a dog from a breeder. There is no better feeling than adopting or rescuing an animal.
    Ron,
    We will want to see pics after you get your dog, and the dog better be toasting a beer with you. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

My brother in law has four (?) of them.

Some notes (a few of these have already been stated):

- They are docile and lazy. They just sit around the house most of the time. They are very friendly, and they do like to run once in awhile - they need exercise like any other dog, so you should have a yard you can let them loose in.

- They are an indoors-only dog. Don't expect them to live outside.

- They must be on a leash AT ALL TIMES when not in a securely fenced yard. As you know, they are fast, and you will never catch one if it takes off. And they do take off, all the time. Greyhounds are trained to chase a fake rabbit around a track and they are very simple minded in this regard. If something catches their eye, they will BOLT for it, and they will not stop until they get to it. They put "blinders" on, so to speak, and will not care what they have to run through to get there nor will they listen to you calling them. Within a couple of short minutes they are usually miles from home, disoriented and confused - assuming a car or other obstacle doesn't kill them on their way. From what I know this is a pretty regular thing with Greyhounds and the people you adopt from will likely stress that they are never to be taken off their leashes outdoors.

- When they arrive, they will be ~2 year old babies. They will have little to no concept of anything found in your household and will be very scared and/or inquisitive. There are a lot of things for them to get into, and they WILL get into them, just like a baby! Picture a 14 year old human who has lived in a crate most of his life hanging out in your house. Simple things will both intrigue and frighten him: Light switches. Running water. Toilets. Doors. Windows. Ceiling fans. Furniture. Home Theater Systems.

I encourage you to find some Greyhound forums on the Internet (there are plenty) and talk to other owners so you can get a good feel for what you will be up against.

They are really fun dogs and make great pets. Like any animal, you just have to do your homework before buying.

16. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I do have a sad story about a Greyhound. My Ex-wife's cousin adopted a greyhound. It died its 2nd day in their house. What had happened was that the cage they left it in while they were gone freaked it out. I guess it had a bad experience when it was younger. The poor thing ended up having a heart attack. When they got home, they found it dead. They adopted another and it been over a year since they have had Holly, and she is a great dog.

-Dean-