Anyone adjusted focus on Pioneer SD5x2 (or Elite) set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarcS, May 15, 2001.

1. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Wondering if any of you Pioneer owners has done their own mechanical and/or electrical focus on your set?
    I was just inside mine this weekend for cleaning (remarkably little dust or film on lenses after 1 year), and it looks fairly straight forward--but it's always nice not to be first...
    Have any of you masked your lenses?
    TIA
    ------------------

2. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

Funny you should mention this, I had just done a mechanical focus of my SD532 after suffering through a slight focus problem with the right side of the screen. Since it's still under warrenty, I had called the only service center in town who was authorized to work on Pioneers to come look at the problem, but the guy was completely clueless. He had to even ask if it was a Hi-Def set and then went on to tell me that it needed to be looked at in the shop! Needless to say I wasn't very confident in their abillities to fix it, so I thanked him, and sent him on his way. I contemplatd doing a mechanical focus myself for some time, but was just too nervous to try, but after looking at some other forums, I decided to go ahead and do it. Since you already took the screen off, you've done the hardest part (damn, that frame was on tight!). Once you've got the frame off, and removed the bracket on the right side of the screen, just slide it over enough to get your hands in, and put up the 72 point convergence grid for reference. Once that's done, just loosen the wing-nut on the bolt that's protuding from the front of the guns. Now slide the bolt along the slit and notice the focus of the selected gun changing, when you have it to your liking, tighten the wing-nut (you'll have to re-converge all your viewing modes again) and check out how it looks befor putting the frame back on.

3. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

No kidding the frame is tight--it wasn't any easier taking it off the second time either. The trick seems to be swinging it out at the bottom a bit, then pushing upward to release it from the brackets on top.
    So, are you happier now that you've focused? Were you able to get the edges sharper?
    I noticed that the screens bow a little bit after they are slid to the side--did you have any problems with that changing the plane of focus once you put the screens back in place?
    I've got a definite excess of blue on the left side of the screen, maybe I'll play around with masking the lens while I'm in there again...
    Thanks...
    ------------------

4. Darcy Hunter

Yes, the screen does bow a bit once you slide it over, and no, this didn't affect the focal plane, for me at least. Before I did the adjustment, I also suffered from an excess of blue on the left side, in addition to the right side being noticeabaly soft. After I did the focus, everything became very sharp, from corner to corner, with no color "blooming".

5. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Great--I'm psyched to try it now myself...
    Thanks,
    Marc
    ------------------

6. Darcy Hunter

Great, let me know how it went.

7. Michael-T

Michael-T Auditioning

Hi Darg Hunter,
    I also recently bought a Pioneer Elite Pro610 from a dealer in the city. I noticed the multi-point convergence screen is well focused in the center but quite out of focus on the left and right sides of the screen. I called the dealer and they send a service tech to my place and the tech didn't know much about the set and said he had to order the service manual. A few weeks later, he came back to my place and look at the tv and said it was normally like that for projection tv. I doubt it if he is right? I am wondering if he was the same guy that came to your place?
    I would really like your help in doing the mechanical and electrical focus if possible. Can you direct me to any sites on the net on how to remove the tv screen (screen protector off already) or can you provide your experience and insites. Thanks

8. Darcy Hunter

Micheal,
    Sounds like it was the same guy. I can tell you how to do it, but it's pretty much like I explained above. I can do one-better though, just go to the link below, and download the file called 610serv man.PDF (you need a PDF reader); it's the service manual for the 610, 510, 582HD5, and 532HD5. It seems to be missing a few pages, but most of the stuff that you would feel comfortable doing (like mechanical, and electrical focus, and how to remove the screen) are included.
    610service manual.

9. Michael-T

Michael-T Auditioning

Hi Darcy (sorry I got your name wrong the first time),
    Thanks for the response. I did download that service manual already but my printer doesn't have enough memory to print it (waiting for more memory for printer to arrive). Plus, I am a little reluctant to remove the screen by myself since I spent a lot of money on this set. Also, do you notice a faint black line running horizontally on the upper and lower part of the screen when watching dvd in full mode on your set? I ask the service tech about this and he said it may be my convergence is off. Any ideas? I really don't trust that service tech because he doesn't seem to know anything about the set. Thanks

10. Darcy Hunter

You went through Japan Audio right? Sounds like it was the same guy (he gave me the same line). I mean, if it was the convergence, I wouldn't have to call you.
    I'm really no expert in doing this, but I'm extremely happy with the results I got. If you already took the frame off, then like I told Marc, you did the hardest part. To be able to slide the screen over, you have to remove the right bracket, then slide your screen over (it bows a bit). The rest is like I told Marc. This screws up the convergence, so you have to re-do it for all viewing modes (don't do them all at once).
    The electrical focus is done by removing the speaker-grill, and then unscrewing the panel in the middle. Once that's off, use a small screw driver to turn the three knobs (red, green, blue) in the right row of the small black box on the left side (use the 72 point grid for reference). This should be done after the mechanical focus. Remember, if you make the blue too sharp, you'll end up with whites that have a slight blue hue.
    No, I haven't noticed the faint lines in full mode. The Pioneers are great TVs, but it's too bad there no one in town who knows much about them.

11. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Hey Guys,
    I too worked up the nerve to do the mechanical focus on my Pioneer SD-532HD. The screen was a hassle. After adjusting the lenses I noticed what I thought I had been seeing all along. My Red was skewed down on the left more than the right. I could get the convergence in on the left but the right would be high. Adjust the right and the left would be low.
    So I started playing in the service mode. [​IMG] I knew this could be dangerous but what the heck. The set was only $2500. After becoming familiar with the service guide and the buttons, I went for it. Broke out the Avia and adjusted everything in the Service Mode. [​IMG] I figured this way I'd only have to make small adjustments with the regular menus.
    I think the biggest improvement was the adjusting of the convergences in the service mode. Sharpened everything up. Enough that my wife even noticed. [​IMG]
    I'm still not satisfied with the Sharpness/Detail screen on Avia. Still have small light white outlines. I think my Sharpness is now at -128 (all the way down), can't remember what I have Detail at. Any suggesstions would be appreciated.
    So I recommend everyone take the chance. I mean, what's to lose, $2500 - $7000 and 3-4 hours of your life. [​IMG]
    On a side note, Darcy what did the electrical focus do and exactly how did you do it. I couldn't find anything in the manual by what you were describing.
    ------------------

12. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I tried to focus last night and found that my blue gun lens was all the way to the left stop before I even started... I don't know if I have the best focus or not since I couldn't fully go back and forth on either side of best focus...
    I loosened the wing nut and twisted in the only direction I could go, which softened the focus noticably, then went in the other direction (clockwise), and it looked better, but then I hit the stop before I could "overshoot" the focus...
    Now what?
    ------------------

13. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Marc,
    Did you noticed you could adjust the gun by moving the wing nut bolt & the top edge of the lense. I'm not sure if this does the same thing but it seemed to adjust differently. The wing nut seemed to move the lines more, where twisting the top of the lense seemed to focus more?!?
    ------------------

14. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I adjusted the lens both by holding on to the bolt, and also by grabbing the top portion of the lens--I just assumed that it was the same thing... But until I get an answer on how to change the range of adjustment, I'm not going inside the set again--it's such a pain...
    ------------------

15. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

I don't blame you. My blue seems to "bloom" a little on the convergence. Any problems like that, or is it just not allowing you to focus all the way.
    Does anybody know how to adjust the overscan? My image seems to be high and to the right. Hopefully without having to go on the inside. Maybe somewhere in the service menu. I'm pretty comfortable with that now.
    ------------------

16. Michael-T

Michael-T Auditioning

Hi Darcy,
    Yeah, it was the same guy from Japan Audio. He said he might have to bring my set to the shop to do more tests on it. That was when I said no way. It's too bad we don't have any qualify tv techs in Wpg who are familar with our sets. Does the right bracket on the set snap off or is there screws involved? I tried snapping it off but it seems very tight and I didn't want to use too much force to break it. Also, I am in the process of deciphering the service manual so that I can see if I can fix the problem I mentioned previously (the horizontal lines). I think the screen size may be off. Any idea on how to adjust the vertical/horizontal screen size in the service mode?
    Thanks

17. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Send me an email, and I'll send you the service manual. It's a large Adobe PDF file though...
    It was quite a while ago, but I did change the screen size and position.
    I have excess blue only on the left side of my screen, which I believe can be lessened by masking the lens--but I have no idea if it's focus related because I can't rotate the lens far enough to find out...
    ------------------

18. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

MarcS,
    I saw in the service manual where you could change the size but I couldn't find where you could reposition the image. I have the manual if you could tell me which page to reference it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    ------------------

19. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Page 204-205??
    I seem to remember that I shifted my image horizontally, and adjusted the size--but it doesn't look like you can shift the image vertically...
    ------------------

20. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I understand that, but I don't even have the option of focusing too much, since I've hit the limit of range on the blue lens...
    I was hoping to have at least enough range so I could defocus on either side of "perfect"--but I can't...