Anyone actually own a Diner's Club card?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Cameron Yee, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    We've all heard about them, but I can't say I've ever 1) seen one or 2) known anyone who has one. Is this just a thing we hear about on TV and the Movies?

2. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I have a friend who has one. I honestly don't think she uses it though. She got it through one of those entertainment booklets that the schools are always selling.

Actually come to think of it I think she did use it once when we all went to this steak house. We were in a group of 15 and she used it on the bill and it saved us alot of money.

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

My dad has one. When we went on vacation to the states, he had a hard time trying to find a vendor that accepts it.

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

My wife has one since Citigroup employees uses it as a corporate card.

5. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

I have one. I don't use it as much as I used to as I went back to school.

Its more of a travelling credit card than anything. I thought it was great as it automatically covers most insurance when renting a car, buying a plane ticket etc. It has many nice perks for people that use it while travelling.

I don't know about in the States, but here in Canada, Diners has an agreement with Master Card, so where ever MC is accepted, Diner's is as well.

The only down side with the card is the anual fee and interest rate (roughly 23%....i think).

6. Bejoy

Bejoy Stunt Coordinator

Diners International is pretty major and has a good acceptability rate worldwide. The Diners club is owned by Citigroup and all cards(atleast US) are being converted to MasterCard.

Bejoy

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I had one for about 3 years when I worked for IBM...it was a big joke for a long time, since IBM gave you a credit card based on the last digit of your employee number: if it was even, you got an American express, odd - diner's club.

Although it is accepted more places than you might think, I was stuck either having to pay cash out of pocket or going to TGI Fridays on more than one occasion.

8. Claudia P

Claudia P Stunt Coordinator

I had a Diners Club corporate card. In their infinite wisdom Diners also sent me a personal card which I never used. They billed me the $90 card fee for months, which I just ignored until the bills eventually stopped coming... I used the corporate card to pay for an airfare from PA to CA, then about three months later got a call from Diners verifying my whereabouts. Someone had broken into a secure (?) airline server and stolen all the credit card numbers used on the airline site over several months (who says airlines don't keep your details?). The cyberthief was busily billing hundreds of thousands of dollars to the card in Florida... while I was at my desk working. Upshot was I didn't have to pay a penny - Diners sorted it all out. Most impressed. So, not a fictitious card or company; seems to be used more by corporates than individuals. Oh, and why didn't I want the card for personal use? I already had a Visa Gold - one card is enough!

9. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

My wife actually has had one since before we were married, and I got on her account. It's a great card for travel, and their insurance coverage is exceptional. We had a rental car broken into in San Francisco. We had used the Diner's Club card to rent the car and waived all of the optional insurance. After dropping the car off, there was one form to fill out and one short phone call from Diner's, and then we never had to deal with another thing again. Other cards offer car insurance, but I've heard stories of hassles and costs you still end up having to cover.

The other nice thing about Diner's is that the points you earn can be put into nearly any frequent flyer account. There are some new rewards cards being offered these days that will get you tickets on any airline without blackouts, but the problem with them is those points don't combine with your frequent flyer account mileage, they are specific to the credit card. With Diner's the points are actually converted into mileage in your frequent flyer account like traditional mileage cards, which is nice if you (or work) still pay for some of your tickets and you earn miles that way too.

As mentioned above, Diner's will soon be accepted at all MasterCard locations which will be great. We just received a mailing saying that we will be getting new cards soon that have the MasterCard logo down in the corner, but the features of the card will otherwise be the same.

10. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

Supposedly, Diners gives you primary coverage on car rentals. That, combined with a rewards program that can be better than Amex's (and used to be much better) can make the card worth it's $90 annual fee.

Also, as was mentioned before, all North American cards will carry the MasterCard logo by June. This means that Diners will be as widely accepted as any other card.

Finally, people who use Diners are said to have a higher "average spend" than people who use any other card. This makes it worthwhile to accept the card, even if you only see a few per year.