1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Anymore info. on the new Panasonic DVD players?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Judah, Apr 7, 2004.

1. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Specifically, any info about the DVDS-97S(video DAC, deinterlacer, MPEG decoder)? I read a press release during CES about them but there was nothing specific.

I have a Technics DVD-A10 in for repair, and the warranty company has decided it's not economical to fix, so they are replacing it with a 97S.

It's for a bedroom system, but if it ends up being better than the RP-91 that's in my main system now, I'll switch them out.

Of course, I'll end up A/B'ing them when I get it, but I'm curious if anyone has any inside info. about specs and release date?

Thanks,

DJ

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

No one has heard anything?

DJ

3. Clayton Jr

Clayton Jr Extra

I couldn't find anything on the Panasonic website about new models.

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Re DVD-S97

Had mine pre-ordered from amazon for a LONG time now. Maybe someday.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

216Mhz, 11-bit DAC
    720p & 1080i upconversion (via HDMI)
    Faroudja DCDi

No mention of the MPEG2 decoder (which is hardly unusual though).

6. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

The Panasonic S97 won't have Faroudja DCDi according to this post.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

In the catalog I just got from Panasonic Canada, it definitely does state:

"DCDi - Directional Correlation Deinterlacing by FAROUDJA"

The emphasis on "Faroudja" is theirs.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. guys. I'm curious about how much difference there will be for movies, but I'm sure it will outperform the RP-91 for video based material(I do have alot of concert DVDs). Hopefully, it'll be in soon.

DJ

9. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Ugh, I hate to ask this, but...

JohnnyG, how is HDMI compatible with DVI? I understand that HDMI simply has extra leads for audio, and can be adapted to DVI with an adapter?!

The Panasonic could be quite decent, as I'm looking for a player that will do 720p upscale through DVI (to Samsung DLP). yes, I've tried the HD931 and had issues, and I understand the LG unit has a severe DVI problem... so maybe it's trusty old Panasonic ?!

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

That is correct. Either a simple HDMI->DVI adapter on an HDMI cable, or a cable with an HDMI connector on one end, and a DVI connector on the other. Like you say, there will be no audio from the DVI end, but the S97 still has 6 channel analog, as well as both optical and coaxial digital audio outputs.

11. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Panasonic Canada's release date for DVD-S97 is September 2004.

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

No 5 disc version?
    The S97 will have an output you can connect to the DVI input of a projector (after using adapters or proper cable)?

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Sadly, no. And just after I praised them last year for finally getting it right and offering a 5 disc changer version of each single disc model.

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Where can I find out more about this player? Will it have aspect ratio control? I do use the iScan Ultra now, and as I've mentioned, its handy for NTSC cable, digital cable, SVHS and LD (although I've no LD anymore)...but if there was a good standalone with Faroujda with aspect ratio controls and the other useful noise reduction and other handy features that Panasonic is known for, the S97 may be a good bet. Depends on price etc. Otherwise, I'll go for an F87 and use it with my iScan Ultra. Wish I could do SDI to it and the iScan Ultra. The iScan HD does SDI after its modded but its too much $'s for me.

15. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Chris, do keep in mind that you can trade your Ultra in on the HD for a $500 credit, which is what I did, not that it is exactly cheap even at that.

16. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I've been looking for info. on the player ever since I found out it was going to be my warranty replacement, Chris. Unfortunately, there is only a blurb from CES, which at that time had it listed for an April release. The only other info. I've got is the stuff Johnny mentioned here in this thread. The CES stuff is here. It's a short few sentences that is the third paragraph down.

When I can, I'm going to get the SA-XR70 receiver to mate up with it, since it has HDMI--I want to see if it'll make that much difference for DVD-A. I'm curious too about those Panasonic digital receivers in general. They've actually been getting some good reviews with some raving about them when used with digital sources. Some have even suggested at Audio Asylum that the amp section is comparable with some high dollar analog amps.

It should be interesting.

DJ

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The trade up is an option, but still too rich for me right now. When I get a higher resoluton Projector, I'll going to let the PJ scale for now and see how it looks.

18. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Quite frankly I think they outclass any analog of any price when it comes to playing digital sources, be it DVD, CD over a digital connection, and so on, and they aren't have bad with analog sources either.

This is the future of amp technology.

My only complaint is that they skimp on the speaker terminals, only offering binding posts on the front channels.

I have owned a digital AMP, and will never go back to analog, ever. Theese little amps are that good. I just wish Panasonic would release a higher end model, fuixing things like the speaker terminals and oother minor details.