Anybody work for the Post Office

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Nathan*W, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Okay, here's the thing...

Decided to take advantage to the Coconuts.com pre-order deal for Star Wars ($30 after rebate/10% discount) because, hey, I haven't had it for this long so a couple more days won't kill me. So I signed up with them and entered all my shipping info...except the 2-letter state code! It was a drop-down list and I totally just skipped right over it.

Now my order for Star Wars shows "My Town, Alabama 12345" instead of Virginia because "AL" was the first listing in the drop-down box.

So, my question is: If my town name is correct, and my ZIP code is correct, do you think I will get this package or will it go to Alabama? BTW, my Town name doesn't exist for Alabama. (or anywhere else besides Virginia, for that matter)

Whaddya think?

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    A guess, and totally that, is that it might be ok because most stickers print out with the zip code. However, I wouldn't take that chance.

3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

your package will be fine untill the carrier who brings it to your house sees it
    if it is your regular carrier (if you actually have a Regular) you will be fine, A fill in carrier might not deliver it
    the sorting machines all do it by zip code, the actual written city and state are not even looked at unless the zip code is unreadable

you should not have a problem

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I think you should contact Coconuts right away & inform them what state you live in.

Your package will probably get delivered to you anyway. If not, I think it would end up being returned to them.

I've received mail sent to me but with the wrong city (but right zip) on the envelope. I even got one where the sender had completely left off the street address, just had my name, city, state, zip. I was amazed that got delivered properly. Maybe I'm the only person in my zip code with this name, but still, that's impressive.

If Coconuts software was good it would have figured the state didn't match the zip and ask you to correct it, or automatically put in the right state.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It just depends how experienced or lazy the guy working at the postal desk is. A parcel I sent going to a city in Georgia had a minor mess up in the address and it got far as GA before they sent it back. My local PO apologized and said they usually figure out things like these.

I think the Zip code gets the highest priority out of everything else listed so you may be in good shape.

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    I DO have a regular guy who is very good and knows me. Hopefully all will be well.

7. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

I once had a package sent to me from England where the sender put the correct street address and city but got the state and zip code wrong. I still got the package. It took about 3 or 4 months to arrive but I did get it.

I also recently had a letter sent to me with all the correct address information. This letter only had to travel about 200 miles but it also took 3 or 4 months to arrive.

Go figure.

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    I just emailed the post office and told them what I've told you guys. We'll see what they say...

9. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Response from the Post Office: Well, I don't know how contacting Coconuts will help since the package has already shipped. We'll see if it shows up...