Anybody work for Circuit City? Pt. 2

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Luis S, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Hey gang,

As some of you may remember I started the original thread to get an idea of the pros and cons of working for CC or BB. Well its been a month now that Ive been working for BB( CC never called me back,Bastards! [​IMG] ). There is some good as well as some bad.

Good:
    -EASY work. A chimp could do my job. Im in the media department so all I got to worry about is converting people in regards to OAR. [​IMG]

-People I meet/have met. This is one thing I must admit I always loved about retail. I love meeting new people with different personalities.Making friends and joking around makes it allot of fun I must say.

-Working with the people I do. Theyre friendly and real. By that I mean I havent run into any wannabe tough guys or stuck up ******* so far. Theyve all been very welcoming and friendly,I was surprised since Im at least 4-5 years older that everyone but a few managers. Im starting to feel old... [​IMG]

-My wife smacks me for it, but damn there are some lovely looking ladies that come in sometimes! I think Im getting a bad neck from looking at them all the time! [​IMG]

-Discount. Now I must tell you,at times its just ok. Other times its great. Really depends what your buying.Used it tonight in fact.But that thread will be in the Speakers area of this forum. [​IMG] Looking forward to using it many times more....

And now for the bad:

-Hours I work are less than ideal.Its not a biggie really. Id just love a normal 9-5 so I can spend week nights and weekends with my wife and family. Ill do what I have to of course but being away from them some nights knowing they're home makes me a little sad sometimes....

-Pay. Not the greatest but its definitely a minor quibble.Guess its not really a complaint seeing as its REALLY nice to have money in my pocket again! Ill just say Im neutral on this.

-Dumbass customers.You know thankfully I haven't run into that many,but the few that I have really tried my patience. Some have expected me to know every single artist and song that we carry and expect me to recognize it by some extremely vague description! And then they have the nerve to get mad when I tell them I have no idea what they're talking about!Aaarrgghhh! Then there are the parents and their little bastard children who run amok knocking shit off the shelves like its ok. If only there weren't any cameras, Parents and kids alike would receive a quick smack when they pull that crap. [​IMG] And how hard is it to put something back where it belongs if you don't want it?!?!

So there you have it,my experience in a nutshell. Its been pretty pleasant so far. My co-workers are great,the people I meet are nice (well,most of them anyway...) and the work is fun and easy.Thanks again to everybody who posted in the other thread. All of your comments helped me a great deal.[​IMG] Well off I go to play with my new speakers!Later!

Take care,

Luis S

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Congrats Luis, which speakers did you go with? Hopefully either the JBL Studios or some Klipsch's! You forget to mention that working in the media section you aren't forced to push ESPs on customers. [​IMG]

I also got a job recently as a driver for Dominoes Pizza. I don't know why people make fun of the job because its great! All I do is drive around lisetning to music, delivering food and picking up tips. On weekends you get about $15/hr and weeknights a little over $12. Even in the morning I'm making at least $8/hr, which is hysterical since most of the morning I'm doing absolutely nothing.

Now this doesn't include the $5.15/hr that comes in our paychecks every other Friday. Oh and we are reimbursed for gas/mileage we put on our car. I thought a construction job I had with a masonry company was gonna be the best I'd ever have but this is better pay and much less work!

Cons is boring at times, wear & tear on the car (make sure you drive Japanese! [​IMG]), and when it gets busy it *really* gets busy. But I've been in high stress positions before so this job isn't for the lazy, even though it sounds like it.

Anymore summer job reports? [​IMG]

3. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Hey thanks Scott! Im enjoying it so far, its different Ill say that. Best retail job I've ever had thats for sure. [​IMG] Don't worry, I wont make fun of ya,nothing wrong with delivering pizza. Hell if my car was in better shape I would have done it just cause the money is so good(which you confirmed...). Quite frankly though my car would die one month into it I think! [​IMG]

Its a good thing I don't have to push those plans,I just don't like hassling people. Makes me uncomfortable. Especially since the majority of customers have a bad attitude. I just wouldn't wanna deal with them. I imagine with delivery you've dealt with or will deal with a couple of pain in the ass customers but for the most part you sound like your enjoying it just fine so keep it up. [​IMG] A positive attitude goes a long way.

What speakers did I get? Klipsh? Nah too bright.Even went to somewhere that had the reference series. Klipsh sound is not for me. And the Mrs. did not enjoy the sound at all. JBL? Nope. Ive had the northridge series for a few years now,listening to the studio line,it didn't really seem like much of an upgrade. I then listened to Mirage(at another dealer of course) which was eh IMHO,and Energy. The energy's were good but something about them I didn't like,its hard to describe.

Anyway after all that I wound up back at best buy and fell in love with what (IMO) is surely a diamond in the rough. The Yamaha NS series.[​IMG] Wow describes it best. Ill be posting a review soon,but to sum it up they sound every bit as good as they look. And the discount I got didn't hurt either.[​IMG]

But back on topic,be careful driving out there. No pizza is worth driving like a maniac to deliver on time. Ive seen some guys pulling some pretty stupid moves on the road while they're working. And don't eat anyones pizza if you get hungry on the road,your customers probably wont appreciate it. [​IMG]

Hope all that money your making is put to a responsible and well thought out use.... your Home Theater! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Take care,

Luis S

4. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Looks like Scott and I are the only ones who found work recently? Share your stories anyone....

Luis S

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Been looking for a summer job to get in lots of hours before school starts again. I want something to do with electronics, or that kind of thing. I don't know about BB as I'm only 16, and not quite sure if they'll be willing to hire that young.

There's an EB that's going to be openening up right behind my house in a couple of months, but I asked another EB shop, and their minimum hiring age is 17. Definitely going to be applying in January or February, just so they have me on file, then apply once again once my birthday hits in June.

I don't know what other places I can apply to. I've been thinking BallBuster (BlockBuster), but apparently the only job someone my age gets there is stocking shelves.

I had a chance to get a summer switchboard/mailroom job at my father's company that would have made me about $4100 over the summer, but it was a 41 hour work week, and I just don't know if I'm up to full time work yet. Plus, I'm still only 16, and I plan on having a social life.

Louis, what kind of discount do you get at BB? Is it a percentage off, or a certain amount of money off per week/month type of thing?

Well, the job search continues...

6. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Ah to be 16 again! I know Im not old by any means but if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have made a few of the mistakes I did. Enjoy those years while you can Mark! Life gets to be a pain in the ass when you get to those college years! [​IMG]

But anyway Mark,regarding the Best Buy discount its about 5-10% above cost. Sometimes its [​IMG] and sometimes its [​IMG] Depends really on what you want to buy. Software,camera,computers,dvd players,or receivers don't get much taken off. The real great deals are on car audio and HT speakers. So if you wanna hook up your car with some nice gear cheap its a good job to have. I recently bought some new speakers for the HT (Yamaha thread in speakers forum,which btw I wouldn't mind some input folks,tons off views and no replies? Hey if my review sucks please let me know.... :b) and I saved an insane amount of money. [​IMG]

Good luck to you whatever job you get. My first job was at publix. God did that suck. I wish I would have worked at BB then. Its awesome to work around what you love. [​IMG] If you can get the opportunity go for it!

Take care,

Luis S

7. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I've curently got 3 jobs going. 1 is just for the summer it's watering flowers in downtown Red Deer for the city. The 2nd is just way busier in the summer and that is a mobile DJ. Summer is wedding season you know, although I much prefer to do other events as apposed to weddings. The 3rd is my full time job working for a call center that just opened up here so far the've hired like 200 people and are hiring about 1000 more in the next couple months.