Anybody with good or bad comments and reviews on Athena Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ralph Duf, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Ralph Duf

Ralph Duf Auditioning

Hi,

I just bought Toshiba 65h83, Panasonic dvd s-35 and Yamaha 5650.
    For the speakers this is what I was aiming for so far.

Front: AS-F1
    Back: AS-B1
    Center: AS-c1
    And for my budget would be the JBL PB10.

It Comes around 1300$ Canadian. Is it good or can i get better for less $ ???
    And also anybody knows a good place i can buy good cables for a good price in canada?

Thx

2. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Cables for a $1300 speaker setup ...Hmmmm

Home Depotwould be my number 1 choice.

12 GA cable is less than $1.00 per foot. Some good bannana plugs or spades from Radio shack and you will have cables that will sound just as good on your system as anything you can buy and they will be custom made to the lengths you need. Probably under $100 for all the cables you need [​IMG]

3. GalenC

GalenC Auditioning

I'm running AS-F2's, AS-B2's, AS-C1, and a JBL S120PII sub with the Yamaha 5650. My room placement is not perfect and I've not set them up quite enough, but I've enjoyed them the couple months I've had them. They function for home theatre generally, with loud music for parties (still in college..). I'm currently looking at the new Pioneer SACD/DVD-Audio DVD player to replace my aging Toshiba 1600.

A could've-been-worse sidenote: I pulled my left floorstander's cover off to find a Corona cap lodged in my silk tweeter; evidently someone left it on top, got it knocked off, and the magnet sucked it right in there. The tweeter came out ok, fortunately.

4. James USAF

James USAF Agent

I have the AS-F2, AS-B2, AS-B1 and AS-C1 (7 speakers) powered by a Pioneer Elite 45tx. I can not describe how much I love these speakers. Have not had a bit of distortion (no matter how loud it has been cranked). Everything to me is just right...a little warm if anything. Not very bright (which I am glad). The AS-F2 produces enough bass for me that I am going to hold off buying a sub for a little while...though I will get one in the future.

All in all...and especially for the price...I do not know what can beat the Athenas. [​IMG]