Anybody with experiences of the Paradigm Micros?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by NickSo, Apr 5, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My local Paradigm dealer has the Micros for $107CAD on clearance.

Ive been thinking of building a small and CHEAP (cheap being the main word here [​IMG] ) 2ch music system for my (small) room, with a pair of cheap speakers, either Paradigm Micros (i was thinking of the Paradigm Atoms, but seeing how the Micros retail for ~$170, im guessin the Atoms would be $200+, a bit more than i'd like to spend), or Fluance SV6 bookshelves, paired with a vintage amp and possibly a Toshiba SD3950 DVD player for CD audio (read up on AudioAsylum.com in the digital drive section to see why).

Though i am going to take a listen sometime this week (the store is about an 8 minute drive from my house :p) ), i'd like to hear some of your guys' comments.

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Hi Nick,

First off, I'm rather curious to hear of the (in)famous 3950/60... so let me come over and have a listen!

Regarding the speakers:

Well your ears will be the final arbiter, of course, but IMO the solution almost always is "spend more money" :p)...to a certain extent I would listen to the Atoms and stuff like Energy @ A&B (or some of hte Mission stuff), PSB Alphas. The usual Canadian suspects.

Main concern I would have is a lack of bass response, but for $100 I guess you don't have too much to complain about.
    If you spend a lot of time in yoru room though it may be more cost-effective to spend a bit more now and not upgrade later.

For reference, in my room I have a (still-working) CD minisystem I bought in '94 for about ... $ 800 or so. A good set of speakers (some PSB Alphas I had lying around from HT upgrades) have made a very nice difference in music.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The atoms are amazing, never heard or even seen the micros, I assume they'd do great except for bass, but if you can listen to both. I will vouch heavily for atoms and above in the performance series, but dunno if you should spring for atoms versus micros. 100 bucks canadian sounds worth it though.

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

NickSo:

The Micros are a decent speaker, but if you can afford the jump in $ to get to the Atoms (and it shouldn't be too much of a jump), then I'd go for the Atoms. The Atoms are absolutely remarkable given their size, and they have a fuller, lusher presentation when compared to the Atom. The Micro, by comparison, is a thinner, leaner sounding speaker. Paradigm recently discontinued the Micro because most people were jumping to the Atom.

My vote: either is good, but the Atom is markedly better.

Jeff.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If I can get the atoms to come to about $200 after taxes i guess ill save up a bit and check those out...

How are Mission Speakers? I see ABsound has the M30 and M31 for around the price im lookin for.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well, i just went for a short audition of the Micros and the Atoms... after hearing the Atoms, im not considering the micros anymore :p)

The micros sounded way congested on the high end, muffled... The Atoms were more airy, and more natural.
    The bass for both though, cant match the JBL monitors w/ 12" woofers my dad has in our HT we use for music.
    The better quality tweeters on the Atoms really shine.

They were very warm-sounding. "Time" from the CD version of DSOTM has always been a very harsh sounding, bright track when the clocks go off on brighter speakers. With the paradigms it was quite listenable.

The guy gave me a price of CAD$190 (from $240), which is a bit cheaper than the full price of the Micros.

Ohwell, time to save up a bit more. Its not a good deal if im not satisfied with it [​IMG] Spend a bit more now, prolong the onset of upgradeitis later.

Thanks for the info though! [​IMG]

7. Derek H

Derek H Agent

nick where in Vancouver did you go to?

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The Audio Video unlimited in Richmond on bridgeport...

9. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Honestly, I don't even know why I upgraded from Atoms that I had in my HT system. I love those things. I paid a LOT more money for Studio 20s, which DO sound better - WHEN you are paying attention, but I don't think I notice it enough when watching movies. In my next life, I'm just going to stick to the Atoms and not bother upgrading. [​IMG]

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well, after doing some reasearch i find i have more choices... I'm gonna try and check out these:

Polk R20/R15
    Infinity Primus 140
    Mission M30/M31
    JBL N24

Anybody know where I can find a list of dealers for Infinity and JBL? Their websites only support dealer searches in the US.