Anybody want to buy my BFD!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David Smith, Jul 10, 2003.

1. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

Well, I just got through with a complete re-configuration of my theater/listening room, and I’ve got to say, I’m stunned!

My dedicated room is 11’ X 19’ X 8’, and I just rotated everything in my room by 90 degrees. My projector screen used to be on the 11’ wall and my main seating was right near the middle of the room, 12’ back from the front wall. My equipment is all located in another room and I have a remote eye into this room.

It was a really nice setup like this for my wife and I, but it was very difficult for more than 2 people to enjoy the room at one time. Even though I thought it would hurt my sound, I decided to rotate to allow for more friends to come over and enjoy a movie with us.

With my setup now, my dual SVS 20-39 PC+ subs are located underneath my screen, lying on their sides, one on each side of my Bigfoot center channel. My Rocket 550 mains are placed about 13 feet apart and toed in (a little far I know, because of a door opening) with my acoustic treatments at each mirror point.

My sub response in my main seating location is now +- 3 db from 20 Hz all the way up to 120 Hz with an 80 Hz crossover on my DA4ES and no equalization! This is with the Radio Shack correction values applied. I literally don’t even need my BFD anymore. With my old configuration, I had to use 8 filters on my BFD and it still wasn’t this perfect.

As far as a house curve, the only time it really sounds better to me is when the volume is pretty low. As soon as I crank it a bit to my normal listening levels, I really prefer a flat curve with the sub running about 3-5 db hot.

The separation and sound of my system is now better in every single way except one. The imaging is definitely not as good now with the mains placed this far apart, but as great as it sounds otherwise, I can live with it. As far as the surrounds, they sound a TON better now that they’re not so close to my head.

I just feel like my entire system is so much more airy and open now. I just don’t know how else to explain it, but it’s awesome!

Now, back through my entire CD/DVD collection!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Stillwater??? Love that town. Spent my freshman year at OSU. Great party place. I remeber when I went to school there, there was a statistic that 3% of all the nations beer was sold in Stillwater!

What do you want for the BFD?

3. David Smith

Yeah, Stillwater is a great town, especially if you're a sports fan. All but this time of year is a lot of fun.

Starting in August with football, right in to basketball at the wonderful G-I Arena, and ending in June with our once great (soon to be great again [​IMG] ) baseball team. The whole town revolves around OSU.

Still lot's of beer sold around here. I know I've bought my fair share. [​IMG]

When were you here? Have you been back recently?

As far as the BFD, honestly, I should probably just keep it. I'm sure I can find another use for it at some point in time!

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

I was there in 93-94. The football team stunk then....bad. I was on a music scholarship and was forced to play in the marching band at all the games. The worst was when we had to go to Norman. At halftime one of the OU players fully tackled a sousaphone player.

Sure was a fun town. Do they still have Pizza Express? They used to have a special, 10" cheese pizza and a coke for $3.17 delivered!

Now I'm stuck in Hawaii[​IMG]

As far as the BFD, that's a good idea to keep it. Congrats with the new HT arrangement.

Go Pokes!

5. David Smith

Yep, those were some bad years for football, I was there too!

My brother actually played Tuba in the OSU band from 92-94.

Ahh...Pizza Shuttle. They actually went down for some kind of tax evasion or something a few years ago.

Nothing like a $3.00 pizza at 2:00 A.M. after a night out with the boys. [​IMG]

One more thing, if you haven't seen the new G-Iba Arena, it's amazing!