Anybody using the XBox as a Music Jukebox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenK, Apr 23, 2002.

1. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I just started ripping some of my CDs onto the HD for use as a Jukebox. So far, I am very pleased at the quality...pretty damn good for 128 Kb/sec bitrate. I would say pretty much identical to MP3 encoded at the same bitrate. I mean, it's not up to the level of my hi-fi transport, but then again, my hi-fi transport can't hold 100+ hours of music. 2 minor annoyances (though I can't really complain, cause the jukebox thing is basically like the cherry on top anyways)...1) naming tracks is a b!tch. I wish they would release a keyboard for the Xbox. 2) Mixing and matching between soundtracks is a chore. Once again, can't complain...cause compared to the $900 jukeboxes from HP and SonicBlue, $0 ain't half bad.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Where did you see the bitrate? I've only ripped one song on my Xbox (just to try it) but I don't remember seeing any confirmation of a bitrate.

3. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Actually, I've only read it at the ProjectXbox site. I've also seen it on a couple of other sites. They could be way off for all I know, but like I said, it sounds pretty much the same as MP3 encoded at 128kb.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I thought about this for about 10 seconds.....but 8gb isn't big enough to make much of a jukebox.

I just finished piecing together some old PC parts I had laying around and now have a 20gb jukebox/movie PC integrated into mys system. Works alot better than the XBOX, and it saves wear and tear on the game since I don't have to turn it on every time I want to listen to music.

5. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I have ripped several songs to my X-Box for during Rallisport Challenge...and a friend of mine has ripped about 100 songs to his Box for the same reason...

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've got about 15 cds on my box for use with Tony Hawk 3, and I agree that track naming is just too difficult to be worthwhile. My suggestion-make a CDDB lookup available from the Xbox, so that the names can be popped in when I insert a disc. That way, no need for a keyboard. That, or allow me to either drop in music from my computer, or just release a keyboard adapter (a PS/2 to Xbox USB adapter couldn't be THAT hard).

7. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

or for that matter a standard USB to Xbox USB plug. If I'm not mistaken the Xbox controllers are USB just with a weird plug.

8. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I ran the numbers and decided to sell my Audiotron and get a dedicated video server for the living room. I'm running a 120GB RAID system. I just use standard fast ethernet to link it to my music server that's in my office. Computers and storage are so cheap these days that dedicated components like the Audiotron just don't make sense.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The X-Box controller ports were designed around USB. They don't want people to use USB devices, so the actual connectors are different in shape, but they work the same.

MS has said before that they don't plan to (nor want to) release a keyboard. They want the X-Box to be as little of a PC as possible.

10. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

A keyboard and mouse is pretty much all that's keeping it from being a PC.

But looking at their ambitious online plans, don't you think a keyboard would come in handy, especially for some MMORPGs? I understand the whole image problem MS faces, but would you rather have functionality or image?

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Remember the picture of the ASCII GCN keyboard? Would an X-Box equivalent be too much of a stretch?

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

OMG, I can just imagine the jokes about the size of the Xbox controller if they went the same route as the ASCII controller. [​IMG]
    edit: Here's a link - [​IMG]

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

15. Wade Paris

Wade Paris Extra

Several companies are releasing Xbox keyboards. Interact is getting ready to ship their Sharkboard, which I preordered from barnes&noble gamelord. If the jukebox supports it is another issue I suppose.