What's new

Anybody using the sony ta-p9000es ? (1 Viewer)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Just looking for first hand comments on the performance of this analog dual 5.1 pre-amp . Thinking of adding it to my system for sacd and two channel duties. Hows the sound, is it transparent, any humming ?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
John, I use one for 2 channel duty only right now. It is WAY quieter than the E9000es. Dead silence on the noise. It has a very quick volume slope. Anything past 9 o'clock is blasting.

I have no warm up hum that some reported. I am very impressed with this. It has put my 2 channel music where I have wanted for a LONG time. I use a Technics turntable db22 with a Shure V15hrp cartridge going to a Creek OBH-8 phono stage to input 1 and my Cambridge audio 300se cd player on input 2. It is a great piece.

Jeff PB

Agent
I have the TAP, and use it to switch between SACD and DVD players, as well as TV on the stereo input. I concur this is a great piece, totally transparent, although I do experience the warm-up hum issue, which lasts a few minutes when you turn the unit on. The easiest solution is to just leave the unit on all the time.

Also the front controls for mute, balance, and per channel level setting are a nice addition and convenience in a setup like mine (no processor other than the source), especially for the sub.

My dream piece is a combination of the TAP and an ICBM. I refuse to buy the ICBM (nothing against Outlaw) just because I can't take any more seperate items and interconnects.

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is a very nice unit.

I use it for switching two pre/pros and 2 channel sacd.(DVP-S9000ES, TA-E9000ES, HK Sig 2.0)

I do not have the warm-up hum but it does have the amp compatability hum problem that has been reported on the net.

No hum with a HK PA-5800 or Carver A-753x connected to the TAP.

There was a constant hum/buzz thru the speakers with a Aragon 8008x5.

When the TA-P9000ES was removed from between the TA-E9000ES and Aragon 8008x5 the hum was gone.

The workaround was to use a cheater plug on the Aragon to silence the hum.

However if I powered off the pre/pro while the amp was powered on, the hum would return if the TA-P9000ES was off/bypass. Another workaround was to switch the TAP on/input 1 or 2 to kill the hum while the pre/pro was off.

It is kind of a hassle with the workarounds but the sacd sure sounds great thru the PSB Stratus Goldi.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Do a search on Audio Asylum under DVD-A and SACD, you'll find quite a few posts on it.

SteveRS,

Thanks for the report on your findings with Harman Kardon PA5800. I'm using one of those and the PA2400's as well, so hopefully I won't experience any hum if I decide to try it.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I have the E9000 and N9000 combo and have been debating getting a P9000 and an ICBM or replaceing the E9000 w/ an outlaw 950 when they come out since it will do the bass mangement and 6ch input. For now my A-10 is just downmixing DVD-A to 2ch :frowning:
Does anyone know of a better price on the P9000 then $450 from Oade Bros?
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks