What's new

Anybody using JBL Northridge bookshelf speakers? (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I got one of those dreaded emails today. You know the one where a family member is looking for HT advice, but doesn't want to spend thousands of dollars? They were asking about some junky looking Infinity satellite speakers on Crutchfield. Having used satellite speakers many, many years ago and being disappointed with their sound I'm thinking of recommending some inexpensive, but decent sounding bookshelf speakers. For about $1,000 you can get a JBL system consisting of 2 E30's for mains, 2 E10's for surround, 1 EC35 for center and an E150P for a sub. Any opinions of these speakers? I personally have never heard them, but since these would be purchased from Best Buy I'm sure they could always be returned if needed.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
actually, for about $1000 you can do MUCH better than that!

bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=4817

Band H Photo has 2-E90's, 2-e-10's, 1-EC-35 and the E-250P for $979 shipped. and if not in NY, no tax.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who bought the E30s and he loves them. I'm considering the E50s as well. I priced the E50s, Ec35 and E10s at one online place and came in under 600 shipped.

I want to do a more comprehensive audition before I committ to them, but I think they're great speakers at a steal. If they can be returned there's nothing to lose.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Im using a pair of E30s for fronts and sides, hopefully gonna upgrade to the E80s for front and use the exsisting E30s as rear surround. E30s are great and a good value.

Dont worry about buying over the internet, these are reputable dealers we are suggesting

2 sets of E30s here for 296
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=298521

1 EC35 here for 180
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=298550

1 SVS subwoofer here for 490 with shipping
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

grand total 296+180+490=966

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Yup, BH is where I got mine. They are a factory autho dealer, so the 5 year warranty applies when u buy thru them. They are very good. Got my N24s there to :)

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
I got the EC35 at www.digital1234.com for $143 shipped. As for the E80's, i got them at B and H. I am very pleased with them so far. i also have the E30's for rear surrounds. Its a pretty sweet set up, and not all too expensive.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator

Mikey, does this mean that ONLY factory Auth dealers give the 5 year warranty?

What about any other dealer that claims:

"All products are factory sealed, brand new, with full manufacturers USA warranties. Nothing is refurbished, gray market or open box. We are totally geared towards providing our customers with the best prices, products and service available."

I'm talking here about digital1234.com. They have great prices on some JBL products.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Warranty only effective if you purchase from JBL autho vendor. NoN autho= No warranty!- no matter what vendor happens to claim.

This is according to JBL!

digital1234 is NOT an authorized Internet vendor, hence I didn't buy from them and only purchased my stuff from authorized vendors:

CLEARLY spells it out here:

http://www.jbl.com/home/where_to_buy/default.asp

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator

Holy carp! thanks Mikey, once agian, you come in with the good scoop. I placed an order with digital1234 for the Ec35 and E50's as they seem to have the best prices, but I still have time to cancel it as it has not shipped yet.

whew, nick-o'-time and all that. thanks again!:emoji_thumbsup:

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting aside regarding authorized/non-authorized dealers: I recently checked a site selling speakers (might have been pricing JBLs at the time) and they make a similar point of saying that their merchandise is factory sealed, brand-new, etc. However, they also added, very clearly, that they were NOT an authorized dealer of the particular brand I was researching.

If you look hard enough, its easy enough to tell when an internet dealer is authorized by a particular manufacturer or not, but I found the actual statement on the web page a refreshing dose of honesty. I wouldn't order that particular product from them as a result, but there are people who aren't worried about losing the warranty coverage.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
WHERE? not online, right? as of a couple of days ago, they showed they are all sold out of JBL... :angry:

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I actually wished I jumped on the E30's for $70. I took my old Pio 811 and threw it in ym bedroom. I have my old HK 6.1 cube type setup for in there, but would have gotten the E30's to use instead at that price.

Oupei

Agent
the JBL website rates the E-20s at -3dB. does that mean +0/-3 dB or +/- 3 like pretty much everything else i've seen. If these are really +0/-3 dB speakers, then I've been spending my money on the wrong speakers...

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
JBL NORTHRIDGE E SERIES – E20 (MFG SPEC)
• Frequency Response (–3dB): 68Hz – 20kHz

The -3dB means that the SPL will not fluctuate more than 3 dB between 68 Hz - 20 kHz (3 dB down @ 68 Hz & 20 kHz) on-axis in their testing anechoic chamber.

Speakers with ±3dB means that the SPL will not fluctuate more that 6 dB.

Here's what Sound & Vision MAG published - JBL E20 Objective Benchmark**;

Frequency Response
E20 front left/right...... 88 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.6 dB

**Tom Nousaine's HT Speaker Testing Standard:

The E20 tested out with excellent performance for it's price and size!!! CLICK HERE to compare other more expensive speakers Objective Tests.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks