What's new

Anybody using ATI multimedia center having trouble defragging the WHOLE drive?? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Over the last few times I tried to defrag my HD I haven't been able to defrag a large portion, usually about 15 gig.

I'm wondering if it is the ATI multimedia center allocating a portion of the drive for video capture.

Does anybody else use ATI MM center and is having the same problem?

How did you correct the problem? uninstall the drivers?

Thanks folks
Brent

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I use ATI MM and don't seem to have a problem with defrag. I usually do have to kill a few other things, like iTunes, Norton Antivirus, and related stuff. For some reason EVERYTHING wants to keep doing something with my disk. :angry:

Anyway, what OS are you using? Also, what error message are you getting?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm using XP, and I'm not getting an error message.

When I defrag it cleans up the beginning of the drive, but the last 25% is all red!

On the ATI sight it mentions something like "when you have a problem with saved video not syncing with the audio it could be because of a defragmented HD".

It ALWAYS says that I should defrag.

Thanks, I hope I can figure this out.
Brent

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think that red area is the pagefile.sys, or swap file. It can't be moved, and they are usually very large.

However, if you know that your swap file isn't there, then I'd find out what it is.

Ok, to clarify, if you have another drive, you could move it to another drive, and do a defrag again and see if it is still there.

Glenn

brentl

Senior HTF Member
good idea, I've got a small 15gig drive for program backup so I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks