1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody using and HTPC with a 65HX81?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan_R, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

If anybody does can you please let me know what your video settings are set to. I am currently using a ATI Radeon 7200 with the Audio Authority transcoder. I am using WinDVD and the latest version of Powerstrip.

I select 540X960P (HDTV standard) but then the size of my desktop is huge and I have to move the mouse left or right in order to see whats on the left and right side of the screen. Thanks in advance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Well I got it to work now but now I have a problem with the overscan, anybody know how to fix this? My overscan seems to be too high. Thankss.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You may need to play with the video adjustment/geometry options in PowerStrip. Or, you may need to work on the geometry on the set itself.

If you calibrated your set with a progressive scan DVD player, it may still not help, unless your standalone DVD player can output 540p and you calibrated in that mode (I don't know of any consumer-level standalone DVD player that can output 540p, virtually all the progressive scan players output 480p only).

On my TW40X81, I had to reconverge my set in 540p while the HTPC output a 540p signal.

At any rate, try fiddling with the video adjustment at 540p using Powerstrip first.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

On my Radeon 7500's settings you can fix the overscan, to a degree. Right click on the desktop -> properties (display properties) -> settings tab -> advanced button -> displays tab. Click the tab where it says TV and a buncha new settings should pop up. Adjustments -> screen size is what you want.

Again this is for a 7500 but ATI should have included this feature on the 7200 as well.

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Max,

The set has been calibrated with a HiDef box so I know the overscan is fine. I think I have to keep playing around with Powerstrip.

Scott,

I have tried the setting in the display propeties, it only helps so much and then it distorts the picture.

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I am wondering if upgrading the video drivers would help, I am using the ones that came with the video card.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I can usually tweak trhe size in Powerstrip with no problem.

Also- remember that the desktop is designed for 0 or negative overscan- so if your set is proper for video (which is usually 5-6% all around) it will cut off the edges of the desktop. I would advise doing any image adjustment in the playback software you're using.

-Vince

8. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

The playback software I am using is WinDVD 4.0 and I dont think it has any image adjustments. Do you think TT would be better? Also lets say I adjust the overscan when playing a movie, this does not help me with the overscan when displaying the desktop and I really need the overscan fixed when displaying the desktop because right now I can't see the start button and when I move the mouse to the bottom left and try to click on the start button, nothing happens.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You can expand the size of the task bar, so that the Start button becomes visible.

10. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Max,

Yes I did think of that and was even considering putting the taskbar on the left side of the screen.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Indeed- i would suggest tinkering a bit with powerstrip. You can use the front porch/back porch settings- which can basically maintain the full image resolution for sync purposes (960x540) but only use a portion of that space.

For example, I have my desktop set to a 1024x768 rate which my projector can sync to- but the desktop only actually uses a 16:9 1024x576 area. The prokjector gets a 1024x768 rate it recognizes, while the PC uses and formats to only the 576 middle lines...

You should be able to do something similar- basically keeping 960x540 while formatting the outer few lines as unused. It will still pass the full res to your set so it can sync- then be formatted slightly inside that image.

If you can't figure out how to do this, let me know and I'll load up PS on my desktop and walk you through it.

-Vince

12. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Vince,

I really appreciate all the help you are giving me.

I have tried messing with the vertical porch settings but when I do this the horizontal also gets adjusted, and then it distorts the image, the convergance gets thrown off for some reason.

Another problem I have is that I don't know much about Powerstrip, resolution and signal frequencies. You can pretty much say that I am a dumb ass about this stuff.

The only reason I have not purchase TT yet is because I went to there forum and saw so many problems bein reported. I don't want to make things worst specially since I am happy with the results now except for the desktop issue I am having. I know if I resolve the overscan issue then the PQ thur WinDVD will probably get better. If I really have to though I will purchase TT.