Anybody using a speaker management system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichelF, May 24, 2001.

1. MichelF

MichelF Extra

Good day,
    I am currious, the PRO market is full of these digital speaker management systems such as XTA DP224 and 226 (see www.xta.co.uk), the BSS OMNIDRIVE and MINIDRIVE (see www.bss.co.uk) or DBX 480 Driverack (www.driverack.com).
    They do everything: cross-over, equalizer, delay, limiter and so on, all in one box. Most of them are not cheap but they seem to be the prefered devices by the pros for active multi-amping.
    Anybody try one of these in a HT or stereo system?
    Michel

2. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    The OMNIDRIVE is one HELL of a processor. For a serious DIY stereo system some wonderful things can be done. That said, I haven't seen many units which would work well to make up a full home theater system, or at least the front 3 and subwoofer. Modularity would be key for such system. There definitely are some cool systems out there, but you also start adding up your amplifier costs for going fully active. Fortuantely some manufacturers are starting to make more and more decent multi-channel amplifiers that are of reasonable cost and are of adequate power.
    If you are so inclined, and have the means, it would be an awesome way to go. I don't recall, but I do believe it has a fan for which the noise would have to be addressed.
    Mark Seaton

3. MichelF

MichelF Extra

I was mainly thinking of the LR channels, using such a system to build LR from two monitor and 2 subs.
    At the moment, I am using the BFD to equalize my 2 subs (both receiving the LFE channel from a pre/pro) but I would also like to do some (limited) equalization on LR and I don't think the BFD is transparent enough for that task (I tried and was not really convinced).
    Then I saw these units and thought they could be used for that task, I could drop the LFE channel and build full range LR channels from my 2 monitors and subs with such a system.
    However, I never heard of anybody using such a system in an audiophile installation and I am thus wondering whether these units are transparent enough for the task. The BSS is the only one with 24/96 resolution, the others are 24/48 but it seems the pros prefer the XTA. And sure... they are not cheap.